IGNORED

Any Maintenance Recommendations

Wally

Looks like you’ve got the monkey motion, no worries though. When you’re in any gear can you move the shifter all over the place nearly as if you’re in neutral?  That’s how mine was, easy fix, I’ll post what I did when I get back home later this weekend if you want to see a pic. 
edit:  Just had a flashback to disassembling my engine, found a long piece of plastic in the oil pan, turns out it was part of the tight side timing chain guide. I would definitely include at minimum checking the timing components and a good look around in the oil pan/bottom end/oil pick up screen. 

Tom

Edited by Trnelson

Here are two pics of the bolt I used to replace the pin. It seems that the fork gets spread out from use causing the excessive slop in the shifter. I squeezed it back till the fork just slides over the rod (not too tight as it needs to be able to move freely) then installed the bolt, washers and Teflon nut. It took a little trial and error on finding the sweet spot where the slop is 99% gone but the shifter still moves easily. I did it in the car but it would be A LOT easier to do out.  I hated the sloppy feel and this fix drastically improved the overall driving experience for me. When you order the bushings be sure to specify this transmission, I don’t know the production years off hand but I’m sure you can find it either here or a google search. 

F9E6B8B8-182D-481A-9D40-F4A4BEDCB501.jpeg

B1AF1C7C-94B3-4B48-A29E-17A6CCC3585A.jpeg

709DF767-DC53-4D2A-8CAE-1D73238348F9.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

sorry for the delay in responding here but i am just now getting to this monkey motion thing. i can easily do what you describe...i am just a little nervous to. Is there any chance by putting pressure on the fork to squeeze it back that the fork could snap or break?

I tried washers initially but didn’t get the results I was looking for. I think it was due to the fork being stretched out more at the bottom than the top. I was also doing this work with it in the car so it was very fiddly and difficult to get all the pieces in place!  I just applied steady pressure with some channel locks until it fit snugly.  If I remember correctly I kinda overshot and had to stretch it back out a hair to get it to move smoothly. I suppose there is a chance you could break it but I doubt you will if you just go slow and steady. Thinking about it you might just use the bolt and Teflon nut to squeeze it back into the desired width, maybe over tighten it a little and back off till it moves freely?  It would be worth a shot anyway 

• 3 months later...