IGNORED

Time for tough decisions

Jeff G 78

As some of you know, I am in the process of moving from Michigan to Arizona.  I have sold my house and am going through the mortgage process on a house in AZ.  The move is from a transfer within Ford where I work.  I am tired of the cold and the terrible roads, so I got a new job within the company at our Arizona proving grounds outside of Phoenix.  The company will move me as well as two cars.  I currently have five cars, so I sold one today.  That leaves my wife's FJ Cruiser, my Porsche 911, my '78 280Z street car and my late 260Z endurance race car.  The Porsche will by my DD along with the 280Z.  That leaves the race car.  I planned to take it out there, but the more I try to justify it, I just cannot do it.  I will have no space in the garage for the car or any spare race car parts, so that puts the car in a permanent storage facility.  Not being street legal and me with no trailer means, I can't even move the car around to work on it or race it.  My only choice is to sell it.

I leave in just over a month and the car is currently on a hoist with the rear suspension off.  I plan to work my butt off in the next few weeks to get it back together and off the hoist.  I know I will take a beating on the car, but it MUST go.  Here's what it is.  It was originally built for LeMons and then upgraded for ChampCar and WRL endurance racing.

The good:

74.5 260Z with a full race cage.  Body is pretty clean with only a bit of rust in the bottom of the rear quarters behind the wheels and a few small holes on the passenger side rear floorpan plus battery tray.  No door glass and Lexan hatch glass and quarter window glass.  Homemade front airdam and rear spoiler.

L28 F54 block with shaved P79 head, Web Racing camshaft, header, MSA premium exhaust, and 3 screw SU carbs.  Brand new BHJ Rebello harmonic damper, ZX matchbox distributor

82 ZX 5 speed transmission, lightened factory flywheel, 3.90 R200 diff with RT mount

Suspension is fairly stock with KYB strut cartridges, poly bushings, front cross member redrilled for bump steer, large stabilizer bars front and rear

Brakes are going on now which are typical Toyota 4x4 calipers w/vented Z31 rotors and T3 spacers up front and Mustang GT vented rotors and calipers with Silvermine caliper bracket in rear.  Brand new rear wheel bearings going in now.

I have two sets of brand new 15" Rewind wheels that have never been mounted

Momo race seat and Crow belts

Stock fuel tank with 1/2 gallon swirl tank.  Facet fuel pump to pump fuel into the swirl tand and Carter pump to move fuel to the engine

The Bad:

It's a race car built for LeMons, so it's not pretty

Wiring is a mess, but it works.  I planned to rewire the entire car before racing it again

Interior is dreadful in that it has sheet metal gauge housings and switch plates

Currently has no tires since I am doing the brake upgrade which require 15" wheels.  I will likely put very old junk tires on a set of the Rewinds to make it mobile

Brakes will need a Wilwood 1" Master cylinder and a prop valve which I have no time to do before I leave

No title.  I bought it out of a barn where it sat for 20 years and I never worked to get a title.  Instrument panel (dash) is gone, so there is no rveted VIN plate.  Stamped VIN is present on firewall

Overall, it runs great and handles extremely well.  It will need a bit of work to finish since I am in the middle of upgrading the brakes.  It needs to be gone in about 4-5 weeks.

Make me a reasonable offer.  I have a ton of money in it, but it must go.  I'm thinking $5,000 for the car, two sets of brand new wheels, and a bunch of various spares including a few hoods, lots of fenders, headlight buckets and other various stuff I've collected.  

I'll post a bunch of pics later.  They  are on my other laptop.  The facebook link in my signature has more pics as well.

IMG_0695.JPG

Edited by Jeff G 78
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Zed Head said:

Good luck.  Funny that you don't own any Fords.

I had a Fusion lease car, but once we started working from home, I never drove it, so I didn't lease another one.  I bought a Saab 900 Turbo for $800 as my winter DD.  I sold that today.  🙂

• Like 1