IGNORED

1976 280 Z from Ohio to Dubai

BAS_DXB

5 hours ago, BAS_DXB said:

Inspired again by @grannyknot and @wheee! I added the hood gas strut, so much slicker than the big spring bar crossing and visible behind the front grille.

Just so you know, the manufacturer of the gas shocks I used recommends that the shock be inverted so as to keep oil around the seal.   But are they going to fail the way you have them, probably not.

5 hours ago, BAS_DXB said:

Open question regarding the front side markers, as I deleted them from the fenders to have smoother body lines, I am thinking about putting them in the wheel wells, see below:

Interesting idea,  I would think you would have to have a bright enough bulb so the backsplash of light can be seen illuminating the wheel well because once the car is on the ground  the signal housing probably wouldn't  be visible at all.  Sort of like a slow strobe effect in amber?

21 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Just so you know, the manufacturer of the gas shocks I used recommends that the shock be inverted so as to keep oil around the seal.   But are they going to fail the way you have them, probably not.

Interesting idea,  I would think you would have to have a bright enough bulb so the backsplash of light can be seen illuminating the wheel well because once the car is on the ground  the signal housing probably wouldn't  be visible at all.  Sort of like a slow strobe effect in amber?

Thanks for your advice for the orientation of the gas strut, will reassemble that way after painting.

I will moke up the modification once the car is back on wheels, and evaluate the effect and luminosity, I will keep you posted.

• Like 1

This week is about denting and panels adjustment. Will end up with a test fitting with the new weatherstrip to ensure everything opens/closes smoothly. Starting to look like a car again 😍

Photo 06-02-2021, 12 49 41 PM (1).jpgPhoto 06-02-2021, 5 25 44 PM.jpg

Some progress on the shocks and other parts:

T3 coilover kit fitted on the original Nissan leg, with the KYB Excel-G inside. The leg is then gone for painting in satin black and I am also getting new shock mounts.

Photo 02-02-2021, 10 19 56 AM.jpgPhoto 02-02-2021, 10 19 55 AM (1).jpgPhoto 02-02-2021, 10 20 06 AM.jpg

Same treatment for the other parts, except the sway bars to be red, to match with the bushing kit and the rear diff cover will remain aluminum with ceramic protection.

Photo 02-02-2021, 10 20 07 AM.jpgPhoto 31-01-2021, 5 05 50 PM.jpg

In other news, we managed to save the gas tank (several pin holes to fix) but the crankshaft damper was definitely gone, and this sh*** is no easy to find as original...

Photo 21-01-2021, 1 33 03 PM.jpgPhoto 04-02-2021, 2 07 55 PM.jpgPhoto 04-02-2021, 2 07 50 PM.jpg

Edited by BAS_DXB
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BAS_DXB said:

This week is about denting and panels adjustment. Will end up with a test fitting with the new weatherstrip to ensure everything opens/closes smoothly. Starting to look like a car again 😍

Photo 06-02-2021, 12 49 41 PM (1).jpgPhoto 06-02-2021, 5 25 44 PM.jpg

Some progress on the shocks and other parts:

T3 coilover kit fitted on the original Nissan leg, with the KYB Excel-G inside. The leg is then gone for painting in satin black and I am also getting new shock mounts.

Photo 02-02-2021, 10 19 56 AM.jpgPhoto 02-02-2021, 10 19 55 AM (1).jpgPhoto 02-02-2021, 10 20 06 AM.jpg

Same treatment for the other parts, except the sway bars to be red, to match with the bushing kit and the rear diff cover will remain aluminum with ceramic protection.

Photo 02-02-2021, 10 20 07 AM.jpgPhoto 31-01-2021, 5 05 50 PM.jpg

In other news, we managed to save the gas tank (several pin holes to fix) but the crankshaft damper was definitely gone, and this sh*** is no easy to find as original...

Photo 21-01-2021, 1 33 03 PM.jpgPhoto 04-02-2021, 2 07 55 PM.jpgPhoto 04-02-2021, 2 07 50 PM.jpg

There are a couple of guys who rebuild harmonic balancers, here in the US. Also aftermarket balancers are available.

17 hours ago, grannyknot said:

I really liked your idea of adding the air vents to your seat fabric so I found a boat store and ordered some, thanks.

IMG_0797.JPG

Nice rivet design ! Glad I can contribute in a way to help others ! Also super happy with the results !

Gotta say I was majorly inspired by Singer, but especially here in the sand pit, your butt/back eventually sweats a lot on leather seats, so fabric+rivets are an attempt to reduce this.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Racer X said:

There are a couple of guys who rebuild harmonic balancers, here in the US. Also aftermarket balancers are available.

The car A/C was removed in 2008 and at the moment no stock  pulley are available apparently, so I decided to got with an ATI harmonic Damper.

If I eventually reinstall the AC I will get a pulley with double grove or study further a rebuilt (thanks for the idea), but shipping to US + rebuild + shipping to Dubai would probably cost more than a new one again...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, been a while, busy with lot of work, but progress is great !

A little Before / After on the dashboard, safe to say I am extremely happy with with the result !

Photo 26-11-2020, 4 54 43 PM.jpgPhoto 13-02-2021, 3 52 55 PM.jpg

Added some soft foam on the top in an attempt to beat the distortion with the sun and heat here in Dubai, let's see once the car is on its wheels...

Photo 10-02-2021, 4 19 05 PM (1).jpgPhoto 10-02-2021, 4 19 05 PM.jpg

Details on the gauges area (I will be remounting everything next week, the red needles are gonna be fire !)

Photo 13-02-2021, 3 54 44 PM (1).jpgPhoto 13-02-2021, 3 55 09 PM.jpg

Central console received the same treatment. The Kenwood will be replaced obviously, still need to find with what... =D I might add a USB charger socket between defogger and Seat belt lights, and put 2 JBL bluetooth Charge 4 under the seats... They work in Stereo, have decent bass and are waterproof, so I can also reuse for pool party =D

Photo 18-02-2021, 2 50 59 PM.jpg

Last part of the body work is now over:  deleting the barbaric speakers openings... (still trying to fine an AGM battery similar to Braille 2015 to put inside passenger compartment, impossible to get them here...)

Photo 11-02-2021, 9 56 09 AM (1).jpgPhoto 13-02-2021, 1 22 52 PM (2).jpg

Fixing the front lower frame:

Photo 10-02-2021, 5 24 03 PM.jpgPhoto 10-02-2021, 5 24 04 PM.jpgPhoto 10-02-2021, 5 24 27 PM.jpg

Front and rear bumpers (240z style) had all the holes filled up and are also adjusted closer to the car body, they will be painted black with gold metallic chips.

Engine bay cleaned up, the car is now getting ready for paint, the old seam seals removed, new seam seals, epoxy paint, under carriage rock protection and painting planned for next week.

spacer.pngPhoto 13-02-2021, 1 24 38 PM.jpgPhoto 14-02-2021, 5 32 25 PM.jpg
Photo 10-02-2021, 4 13 59 PM.jpgPhoto 10-02-2021, 4 16 20 PM.jpg

Next week will also start the engine care: finish the cleaning, painting of the block, head, valve cover and oil pan, replacement timing chain, alternator, water pump, all gaskets and seals !

Photo 13-02-2021, 2 08 40 PM.jpgPhoto 13-02-2021, 2 48 30 PM.jpgPhoto 14-02-2021, 11 23 07 AM.jpg

Edited by BAS_DXB
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, wheee! said:

Wow. Makes my car look like one of those drawings your kid brings home from preschool.... “ooh I love it hunny!”
This is beautiful detailed work!

Thanks Mark 🙏 but to be honest I would say, your project is your own authentic drawing with your personal touch, and mine is someone drawing it for me after years of art school, just following my vision... I have a bigger picture in mind and might start doing something myself in late 2021, obviously not from the skyscrapper balcony 😁

I have been very lucky with Ismael (the daredevil welder from Philippines), he has done an amazing work on the whole car body !

Edited by BAS_DXB
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BAS_DXB said:

I have been very lucky with Ismael (the daredevil welder from Philippines), he has done an amazing work on the whole car body !

Your guy has serious skills, recreating by hand what came from a stamped press is no small feat.  Also very impressed with the dash and console,  I don't think I have ever seen the leather covered look done well on a 240z before, the workmanship on yours is remarkable.

The fit for the speedo and tach is very tight on an original dash, hope he left some allowance for that.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2021 at 5:36 PM, grannyknot said:

Your guy has serious skills, recreating by hand what came from a stamped press is no small feat.  Also very impressed with the dash and console,  I don't think I have ever seen the leather covered look done well on a 240z before, the workmanship on yours is remarkable.

The fit for the speedo and tach is very tight on an original dash, hope he left some allowance for that.

He is definitely someone I recommend and would trust again for new projects !

I also noticed the super tight fitting while disassembling the dash, and gave the gauge brackets in order to adjust it. Benefits of the alcantara being thinner than leather, everything falls into place.