IGNORED

Identify 280Z Terminal Type

SteveJ

So I was trying to be creative with some wiring for headlight relays in a 78 280Z. When I looked at the terminals in connectors C-2 and C-4, I realized it wasn't going to be so easy. The male terminals are 2.8mm, but they aren't like the typical 2.8mm terminals you find in a 240Z. Between the crimp and the flat area of the terminal, there are side walls. I haven't seen this type terminal before. Does anybody know a name for them? @Captain Obvious?

20201220_150759.jpg

20201220_150048.jpg

Well you really need to figure out if it's Mark-1 or Mark-2 you're buying because the Mk-2 stuff will not fit into the Mk-1 shells. Been there, tried that. Doesn't work and I can send you some if you want to see them.

I dug around a while ago and couldn't find any Mk-1 stuff*. And in a feat of desperation, I did buy some of the Mk-2 stuff just to see what would happen. As I remember, there was no Mk-1 stuff at DIgikey, but I may have turned up something at Newark or Onlinecomponents.

And... If you DO manage to find some Mk-1 contacts, buy some for me too, OK? It sounds like you are trying to do some of the same headlight stuff I did a couple years ago. In the end, I bought a whole engine bay harness and stripped out the wires (with connectors already attached) from that one. It had previously been hacked up some by a PO so I considered it a cadaver and didn't feel too bad about completely stripping it down.

* At least in small quantities... I think I remember finding some of the contacts in full rolls, but couldn't justify the cost of buying the whole thing.

If 170221-1 is Mk-I, it is available through Mouser. (I thought I found it at Digikey last night, too, but I can't find it in small order quantities from there today.) https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/170221-1-Loose-Piece/?qs=u4fy%2FsgLU9OcrUTVwsvtZg%3D%3D

It looks like 170286-1 is also available. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/170286-1-Loose-Piece/?qs=%2Fha2pyFadugG6fDRXYzR9oh06nZvsILALDgSSqqMp0eYJNa%2FaD9HAZmiPHsJX%2B7k

If I don't miss my guess, a shell like 172025-1 and 172043-1 should work for the terminals, based on document ENG_SS_108-5099_E1.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/172025-1/?qs=BqFpTYCQ3dI2MjHEMasDYA%3D%3D

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/172043-1/?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduiUwloJKxhvuwXMUGtejgnCnmCHNPq0ot4%3D

That, of course, is based upon the assumption that TE-Connectivity did not reassign part numbers between Mk-I and Mk-II parts.

NG_CD_170221_D1-658086.pdf ENG_CVM_170221-1_D1.pdf ENG_SS_108-5099_E1.pdf

Yeah, those part numbers look promising. Seems maybe I didn't look hard enough?  Haha!

According to the documentation I have, the 170221-1 is a Mark-1 male tab... Tin plated brass, 20-14 ga wires.
And the 170286-1 is a female socket... Tin plated phosphor bronze for the same wire gauges 20-14.

The connector housing part numbers you posted didn't show up in the little amount of documentation I have, but they are close to other numbers that did show up. Meaning they probably are Mark-1 and just have different cavity numbers or something. For example, 172024-1 did show up as an 11 position housing.

So keep us posted when the parts get there. I'll dig out my Mark-2 parts when I get the chance and see what part numbers I ordered. Not that it really matters, but.....