IGNORED

Name The Part. Area: Valve Train

Muzez

Hey Guys, 

Mechanic has my FSM and Haynes manual for a transmission inspection. Hoping you can answer a curiosity question: What is this part called and what is it for? 

valve2.png

Edited by Muzez

4 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I've read casting plugs. But that's what I do. So take that with a grain of salt.

To add to that. They had to make those holes in the casting of the aluminum heads, with sand or something? Anyhow that's the reason.

Thanks @siteunseen was super curious as I was working on the cams today. At first, I thought they were drains that were blocked and was panicking but then found a clean photo and was just curious haha. 

Removing those plugs was a bit of a chore.  My head and camshaft was quite rusty and I wnted a thorough cylinder head cleaning,  The thread sealant on those plugs was badly deteriorated, portions of it hanging out, so I removed them and soaked them in some EVAP-O-RUST for a few days.  I will be using some good high temp thread sealant on those plugs when I get to reassembling my cylinder head on this resurrection project.  I believe they are somehow used in the casting project for the water jackets?  The threaded plugs are certainly more substantial than freeze plugs that also seal off water jackets in the engine casting.  Merry CHRISTmas-John, Lugoff, SC.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, One Way said:

Removing those plugs was a bit of a chore.  My head and camshaft was quite rusty and I wnted a thorough cylinder head cleaning,  The thread sealant on those plugs was badly deteriorated, portions of it hanging out, so I removed them and soaked them in some EVAP-O-RUST for a few days.  I will be using some good high temp thread sealant on those plugs when I get to reassembling my cylinder head on this resurrection project.  I believe they are somehow used in the casting project for the water jackets?  The threaded plugs are certainly more substantial than freeze plugs that also seal off water jackets in the engine casting.  Merry CHRISTmas-John, Lugoff, SC.

Thanks John! And good luck on the resealing project!

Edited by Muzez