Namerow

Z Front Frame Rail Replacement - T/C Rod Bracket

When replacing a Z's front frame rail, the T/C rod bracket needs to be separated from the rail so that it can later be welded to the replacement rail.  The T/C rod bracket is secured to the OE rail by a combination of spot welds and a long seam weld.  I'm looking for some guidance on the steps and tools that work best for separating the bracket from rail and whether this should be done before vs after the rail is separated from the  rest of the vehicle structure.  The brackets, BTW, used to be available as service parts (74830/78301-E4100) but are now shown as NLA on the Courtesy Nissan website.

S30 Front Frame Rails - T-C Rod Bracket-to-gusset details - d-side - 70.jpg

S30 Front Frame Rails - OE replacements.jpg

Edited by Namerow
added note re Nissan PN

If I were doing this, I would remove from the rail after the fact. Provided the rail is being trashed. I would grind the rail off the bracket so as not to lose any material off the bracket. Make good dimensions first, of course

• Like 1

I'm assuming that you want to leave the T/C bracket attached to the lower floor pan rail?  If so then cut the engine bay rail about a 1/2" above that seam weld holding the bracket and rail together, pull the bent rail out and then you have lots of access to the top of the T/C bracket to cut and grind off what is left on the bracket.

It's nice to see you tackle this job John, you'll be driving her by next spring.