IGNORED

Possible to Swap 280ZX condenser into 280z?

Muzez

I have a 1977 280z with Factory Installed AC. My condenser has 4-5 leaking points, but the rest of the system seems sound (to be tested). My local junkyard has 2 280zx. I was thinking about heading down and seeing if either have AC units, but wanted to check if there is compatibility between these systems or if it is better just to buy an aftermarket condenser?

Thanks in advance!

The one issue you may have is with the joints. In the early Z cars the connections were flare fittings and flared copper tubing. The connections to the condenser are flare fittings. I've never taken apart a '77-'78 A/C system so I don't know if they are the same as the '74-'76 A/C fittings but I would think they would be the same. With the 280ZX, they started using o-ring connections. The fittings on the condenser are probably o-ring. You could have the high-pressure lines that connect to the condenser custom made if the ZX condenser is the same form factor (or could be made to fit in the Z chassis). But you will probably be better off with an aftermarket condenser that's made to fit the Z car and it's flare fittings (if that's indeed what you have).

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

@Muzez, did you ever do this?

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I think the original question is an important one. I haven’t seen anyone confirm that a S130 A/C condenser fits into an S30 of any year.

I’d like to know if one would fit in a 1973 240z. I’ve found the dimensions in inches for the 1979-81 280zx version:

IMG_3335.webp

If these or the 260/280 versions fit I may get one of these:

https://www.originalair.com/81-83-datsunnissan-280zx-parallel-flow-condenser-high-performance-parallel-flow

IMG_3332.jpeg

Update: I found the dimensions for the 260z 2x2 and 280z 2x2 Condensers. I am speculating that the 260z had the same geometry as the 240z for this.

260z:

IMG_3334.jpeg

280z:

IMG_3333.jpeg

Edited by Matthew Abate