IGNORED

Parts for Sale: Nissan 5-speed trans

XxxxxAaaaa

Nissan 5-speed trans

I have a Nissan 5-speed trans for sale. Hopefully the photos will help someone identify which one and what vehicle it came from.

I bought it several years ago to install into my '68 MGB, but the cost of the adapter kit was pushing $950 and, 1) I only paid $1,000 for the MGB (in really good condition), and 2) I didn't have the money to buy the kit. So I've had this trans sitting back in my workshop taking up space and thinking someone would like to have it.

I have the clutch pressure plate, friction disc, drive shaft, hydraulic slave cylinder, but no flywheel.

If someone can tell me what its from, what it is worth, and make a reasonable offer (including shipping) I would certainly appreciate it.

I'm located in Belen, NM (about 35 miles south of Albuquerque).

The shift boot rubber and shifter look like 300ZX.  I seem to remember that the front case casting was different on the 71C compared to 71B, if anyone wants to do that.  I think the 71C lines were more defined.

300ZX 71C seems possible.  

Here's the two 71B's from pogden's thread, and the image from this thread link.  The pictures in the ad aren't very good.  A measurement of the length would tell something.  The 71C is longer.

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/64504-fs5w71b-transmission-identification-close-ratio-vs-wide-ratio-with-pictures/

image.png

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

A shot of the drain plug magnet would be telling.  It should have stuff on it.  If it's clean that means somebody removed the signs of condition.

I bought a mystery 5 speed for $50 from a shady guy, by the external signs from an 82-83 280ZX.  I knew that, worst case, I'd have the front case for a 71C swap and some other odd parts, like the speedo drive and front cover and odd spare pieces.  I hooked it up to my spare engine that I had available to run in the garage, filled it with old gear oil I had saved and ran it through the gears on a running engine.  It started grinding and crunching right away and the gear oil was aluminum colored when it came out.  It was destroyed inside, somebody had obviously got angry with it, probably from a bad slave cylinder on the clutch.  Clutch forks, bearings, synchro parts everywhere.

I did use the front case on a 300ZX 5 speed that I picked up for $20 from a kid whose mother told him he had to get the 5 speed off the front porch, from his wrecked 300ZX.  Win some, lose some.

Thank you for the opportunity to tell a random story.

The total length is 31 1/2 inches. I pulled the drain plug and the oil that came out was slightly darker than new 90w gear oil, no particles. The magnetic tip on the plug was a little black - no ugly particles on it. From the photos, you can see the shift handle ears are 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 inches tall. I rotated the input spline and shifted into all 5 forward and reverse. All shifted smoothly. The MGB to Nissan 5-speed conversion suggested the trans from a '75 - '83 280Z or 280ZX. I believe that's what I pulled it from, but that was about 10 years ago so I don't remember exactly (its been sitting in my little shop on a flat wood cart since I brought it home). As far as price, you guys know what the trans is and what it's worth. I'm only asking a realistic price and shipping, whatever that may be. I'm not trying to get an astronomical amount, just whatever is fair to both of us. If you don't want it, tell me what is worth on Craigslist or Facebook Market and I'll advertise it locally. No hard feelings or animosity.

Edited by WayneFC