IGNORED

280z radio pinout?

Thanks for the compliment...I also saw that same schematic in my FSM....but I was somewhat confused since the schematic didn't exactly match the actual configuration in my car...and I know my car hasn't been altered from original...so I thought it would just be more useful if I posted what was in the car.  Specifically, notice how that schematic shows the connections at the radio as a 6 + 2 plugin vs. the 5 + 3 config. in my car.  I'm not sure why the difference....maybe the clarion radio setup was different?

Anyway, hope all this helps...good luck!!

• Like 1

I think the schematic matches the car fine. The connectors shown on the wiring diagram are a six position spade and a pair of bullets. On the car end of that sub-harness, you've got a six pin spade and a pair of bullets. Just like the diagram.

The confusion comes from the fact that the connectors built into the back of the radio are not shown on the diagram at all. The diagram shows it as if the wires were hard-wired coming out of the back of the radio (just like they did on previous years). So if you plug that little sub-harness into the back of the radio and pretend it's all one piece, then the wiring diagram is spot on.

The problem you're having with 6+2 or 5+3 is that the 5+3 is completely ignored on the diagram.

Thanks for that...I see your point....at least now, with the photos I posted in this thread, forum members can clearly see the wire scheme/colors on the two connectors on the radio-side of the sub harness (I've also heard it referred to as a radio pigtail harness). Too bad I still couldn't figure out what the function of each of these colored wires is...

Edited by ea6driver

What do the wires do? I think I can help with that:

Blue is +12V power in. Hot when in ACC and ON.
Blacks (two of them) are grounds The one on the 6-position connector is used as the low side power for the radio, and the bullet is used as a speaker ground.
White/Black is also a speaker ground. I think it just gets connected to the black ground wires in the car harness.
White is right hand speaker output.
Black/Red bullet is left hand speaker output.
Green/White is panel illumination high side. Goes to the headlight switch.
Red/Blue is panel illumination ground side. Goes to the rheostat.

Does that make sense?

• Like 1

So White is right side speaker out and Black/Red is left side speaker out. Thats interesting. And it would make sense I guess that each speaker would need its own wire driving it for a stereo system. However, that setup doesn't match the FSM wiring diagram description.  The 78 FSM wiring diagram shows both speakers being driven by the Black/Red bullet connector wire. In fact, it doesn't even show the White wire.  I'm guessing this is another example of a diagram not being updated to reflect system upgrades from the original configuration.

IMG_5449.JPG

That diagram is correct. It's just more of the same issue as before where they didn't show the stub harness on the diagrams. The documentation just assumes the wires coming out of the back of the radio are hard-wired.

I added the colors to your diagram to show what I'm talking about. I stand by my previous identifications of the wire colors (IN THE SUB HARNESS). They change some of the wire colors at the six position spade connector, so on the CAR SIDE of that connector the colors are different:
78 Radio.jpg

Note that they don't show the illumination wires on this diagram because they are shown on the dash lighting page instead. But the rest of the colors all work out.

Edited by Captain Obvious
Added some detail