IGNORED

How Flush Should Sway Bar Link Ends Be?

Muzez

Hey Guys, 

Replacing old rubber Sway Bar Link Ends this week with new Poly ones. QQ: How flush is the bushing supposed to sit on the sway bar?

The old rubber ones contoured to the curve of the metal of the bar, but mostly because they were 43 years old and absolutely shot. As I am tightening the poly ones, they don't have as much flexibility and so they don't align as nicely. I assume this is okay, but wanted to check first before hitting the road. (Disclaimer: Sway bar ends are not tightened in the photos. Took the photo when I first put them in place, but forgot to take a tighted photo before leaving the shop.)

IMG_3882.jpg

IMG_3883.jpg

IMG_3881.jpg

I believe the poly should operate the same way the originals do. Meaning...

There should be a metal sleeve that runs through the center of the bushings. You're supposed to tighten the nut down until there is metal-to-metal contact between the washers and that sleeve. The compliance of the bushings is supposed to compress until that point. In theory, you should be able to feel the tightening torque shoot up once all the play has been taken up.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Seriously though. I'm sure there's a spec, but 40 ft-lb sounds a little high for that small of a bolt. Another vote to check the manual.

@Captain Obvious & @Pilgrim Didn't find it in the Haynes manual or in the Datsun FSM. Is there a different term people use for it other than Stabilizer or Sway Bar Link End?  

@EuroDat that's the same setup I have. Also, and unrelated: I hope its not too forward, but you got a nice undercarriage. 😉 

Screenshot (755).png

Screenshot (754).png

Screenshot (756).png

In my 1983 ZXT manual it's on pages FA-4 or FA-8. The diagram on FA-4 is best.  Glad you asked, it's a very low torque spec, 12-16 Lbs/Ft. 

It would help if you'd mention the year of your Z, just in case it's quite different.

Edited by Pilgrim
  • Like 1

Oh crap. Wrong photos. Now Ill try that again.

You are wrong on with your comments about not fitting well. They do pull in with a little persuasion. I used a block of wood and a trolley jack to compress them enough and start the nut. See second photo.

Another point. My kit was 4 rubbers and washers, simple bolt, nyloc nut and a spacer tube. If you tightened down hard , you could crush the rubbers completly. I tighted the nut until the rubbers started to bulge slightly. Checked them aftrr a couple of monthes and retightened a little where needed.

I hope that makes some sense.

IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG

35 minutes ago, EuroDat said:

Oh crap. Wrong photos. Now Ill try that again.

You are wrong on with your comments about not fitting well. They do pull in with a little persuasion. I used a block of wood and a trolley jack to compress them enough and start the nut. See second photo.

Another point. My kit was 4 rubbers and washers, simple bolt, nyloc nut and a spacer tube. If you tightened down hard , you could crush the rubbers completely. I tighten the nut until the rubbers started to bulge slightly. Checked them after a couple of months and retightened a little where needed.

I hope that makes some sense.

Makes perfect sense. Will give this a try with the jack tonight and will update you on the progress!