IGNORED

Just Another Damned Z Car Project Thread

conedodger

• 4 weeks later...

So given that my motor is a Rebello 3.0 with 300HP potential, what brand of clutch? A quick search shows stock, Centerforce I and II, Dual force, ACT. 
What experiences have you guys had with these and what options am I not seeing?

• 2 months later...

I’m at an event. A Porsche event actually, and they had door prizes during the dinner tonight. I won a pair of these. I didn’t intend to do anything overtly non-stock appearing with my Z but heck, free is free so…

anyone have any idea how these wire up? Jeep I think?? Second damned Jeep part on the car now… hmmm.

7F02DD3B-3C83-400F-8A32-D51608A15E6D.jpeg

• Haha 2

You'll probably need some headlight relays. Also, you can remove that pigtail so you just have the 9003 connector that plugs right into the connector for the sealed beams. Too bad you're on the other side of the country. I've been installing headlight relays that I hide behind the center stack so no one can see the modification.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You will need the relays that MSA sells;

Motorsport! Headlight Relay Upgrade Harness, 70-73 240Z - The Z Store! Nissan-Datsun 240Z 260Z 280Z 280ZX 300ZX ( Z31 Z32 ) 350Z 370Z Parts

The reason you need these is because of the way Datsun wired the headlights which is a problem for LED's because diodes (the "D" in LED) only allow electricity to flow in one direction. Here's a thread I started that explains why you need the relays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, conedodger said:

Thanks @SteveJ! What relay do you suggest since we can’t seem to coax you across the country? You know, we’ve got this lake here that a lot of people enjoy seeing? 

@w3wilkes provided the link I would have. Dave Irwin did a great job designing the harness. The way I do it takes a little more effort, but I put extra effort into hiding relays and the wiring. I haven't played around with enough cars to make a kit for other people to install.

• Like 1

Since I've replaced all my bulbs except the dash lights with LED to take the load off the wiring including the headlights with the harness upgrade mentioned before the 60 amp alternator seems to be more than enough for my needs. I did do the Retrosound stereo and will be reactivating my dealer installed A/C eventually I think I'm more than good. The 60 amp upgrade I used was this from MSA that eliminates the mechanical voltage regulator where I mounted the headlight relays (there's a note at the end for 73 cars to contact MSA for some options)

Motorsport! 60-Amp Alternator Upgrade Kit, 70-72 240Z - The Z Store! Nissan-Datsun 240Z 260Z 280Z 280ZX 300ZX ( Z31 Z32 ) 350Z 370Z Parts