nefiwashere

78 280z Halo headlights

came across these headlight on ebay LED Headlights Halo does not say much about wiring up, just that its plug and play.

been searching led headlights but not sure if im looking at old setups for older led headlight tech. things still might be the same.

Any help on how to properly hook them up is appreciated.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

The LEDs require 2 positives wires and 1 negative wire. The Z is wired with 1 positive and two negatives. Solutions for the 240Z are fairly straightforward. You can buy the relay kit from MSA, or if you have a 72 or 73, I posted directions on how to wire relays into those model years without cutting factory wires.

The 260Z and 280Z do not present such an elegant solution. Currently, on my 260Z, I removed one of the headlight sockets and replaced it with a 3 pin connector to control the relays. I drilled new holes in the headlight mounts to wire in new headlight sockets that have 2 positive and 1 negative wire.

I am working on another solution to eliminate the extra wires that I currently have behind the headlights. However, I am still waiting on some connectors. 

Any way you look at it, it is not a simple modification. If you don't have much experience with wiring, make friends with someone who does (and who can read wiring diagrams).

Mind you, the halos may take additional wiring if they are supposed to draw from the parking light circuit.

I have those in my 78 but I also have this relay kit with it. Once I added the relay kit I was able to use the LED lights properly took my about 10 minutes to wire the relay kit and then the LED lights plug directly into it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174379128916

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The kit that @AZDatsun mentioned is the basis for the design I implemented.  Now I'm looking at getting rid of some of the visible wiring from that conversion, including the relays in the engine bay. It's just personal preference.

On 8/29/2020 at 5:44 AM, AZDatsun said:

I have those in my 78 but I also have this relay kit with it. Once I added the relay kit I was able to use the LED lights properly took my about 10 minutes to wire the relay kit and then the LED lights plug directly into it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174379128916

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok ill be giving them a try, thanks for the link.

photo from another thread.

what is the Name of that type of connector? specific Size?

would like to buy some female ends 

59b29d6c14ee3_zconnector.jpg.f37de159ac396391550f0269a3f09e4c.jpg

No, hence unobtainium - A substance that cannot be obtained.

15 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Coil.

thanks,     any possible issue tapping in there?

also the headlight adjuster on the passenger side do not line up correctly is this a manufacture defect?

Edited by nefiwashere

With using the coil, you must use an inline fuse, or a short will stop your car dead. I will try to find another source,  but it won't be until much later today. I'm hitting the road for ZCON. 

As for the headlight adjustment not lining up, that should be part of the factory assembly. Please post clear photos. 

Go LED headlights,  reduces the current requirements to the point where relays are barely required to protect our sensitive old headlight switches.

either Dapper OE7’s or LED H4 bulbs in Hella or Bosch (or similar) housings is the way to go. 

Dapper’s OE7 (and OE5) lights are astoundingly good and look OEM.  Bright white light and sharp cut off. 2.1 Amp each on low beam.

https://www.dapperlighting.com/products/oe7

DE25D2F8-FA95-4410-9C2F-1E0A608AC538.jpeg

BTW the blurry photo is caused by extreme speed and distraction of the photographer by the beauty of the subject matter...

6C74284B-B051-47F2-86A7-7FBEE3F47F8C.jpeg

Edited by zKars
    • Like 3

5 hours ago, zKars said:

Dapper’s OE7 (and OE5) lights are astoundingly good and look OEM.  Bright white light and sharp cut off. 2.1 Amp each on low beam.

https://www.dapperlighting.com/products/oe7

6C74284B-B051-47F2-86A7-7FBEE3F47F8C.jpeg

IMHO, these look a lot more like they should for the Z.  I'd be curious to see how the other headlights look on the car though.  So, please post some photos.

Maybe we should make a Z headlight photo thread?   🙂

Drivers side has plastic film.  That side the adjustment screws line up fine.

Passenger side they don’t line up.  I’ve tried making it fit but it will not sit correctly if I make the adjustment screws line up with the notched part.

5695EEFC-5124-4968-9561-5F86737C782E.jpeg

66484DC4-5C26-40A8-A50A-DFE937FF3B08.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nefiwashere said:

Drivers side has plastic film.  That side the adjustment screws line up fine.

Passenger side they don’t line up.  I’ve tried making it fit but it will not sit correctly if I make the adjustment screws line up with the notched part.

5695EEFC-5124-4968-9561-5F86737C782E.jpeg

66484DC4-5C26-40A8-A50A-DFE937FF3B08.jpeg

Actually, you need to post a photos of the passenger side headlight out of the car (front/side/back). If it has two adjustment screws, then it's possibly one of two things:

1. Someone replaced the headlight in the past with a driver side headlight.

2. You somehow managed to mount the headlight 90 degrees out.

Without being able to look closely and not knowing much about your car, I would consider #1 first.

Getting back to an earlier topic in the thread, I think I found a better source for the DRLs. The washer fluid motor isn't close to the front, but you could use power from the blue/red wire, again with an inline fuse right after where you tap. That way if the fuse blows, you only lose the DRLs and you still have your wipers.