IGNORED

1978 280Z Black Pearl with 18K Miles Sells for $57,500 on BaT

lonetreesteve

The COVID is giving people lots of free time to spend their money on the internet.  That is a nice looking example of the $199 package.  Odd that it came with a 4 speed though, I thought that the 5 speed was standard and the 4 speed was a requested change.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

The COVID is giving people lots of free time to spend their money on the internet.  That is a nice looking example of the $199 package.  Odd that it came with a 4 speed though, I thought that the 5 speed was standard and the 4 speed was a requested change.

LOL  I think you are right about auto enthusiasts with too much time on their hands and spending money!   I'm pretty sure that the 5-speed was an option, as well as the optional alloy wheels (this car has the wheel covers), but I could be wrong, as I am a 240Z guy and don't know a lot about 280Zs. 

Weird.  I did a little Googling and found what looked like an interesting "official" Nissan web site.  But it has really bad information on it.  Just flat wrong.

https://www.nissanusa.com/experience-nissan/news-and-events/nissan-z-car.html

THE NISSAN 280Z

The next of the Datsun Z-Cars to launch was the 280Z in August 1978. 

Go no further than Beck's site.  He has a write-up on the Black Pearl.  I looked at this auction with passing interest.  Didn't like the side moldings and the hub caps.  Didn't notice that it also didn't have the 5-speed option!  In that case; "well sold"!  Nice looking car.

19 hours ago, Zed Head said:

My learning was that 77 was the 4 speed with a 5 speed option, and 78 was the opposite.  There's probably sales literature out there somewhere.  Release the Google...

My 9/76 has the 5 speed with the emblem on the rear hatch. I've never seen a '78 without a 5 speed but wikipedia says it was an option that year too.

"In late 1976 and for most 1977–78 models, an optional five-speed manual transmission was available alongside the four-speed manual and the three-speed automatic options. It included a "5-speed" emblem on the left bottom edge of the rear hatch."

• 2 weeks later...

My father bought his '78 280z brand new in February 1978 and the 5 speed was a $165 option in both 1977 and 1978. I currently have 2 1978 280z's with original 4 speed transmissions as delivered new from the factory. Here is one of them which had previously been on BaT:  https://www.motorcarclassics.com/1978-datsun-280z-c-92.htm

DSCN8899.JPG

DSCN8902.JPG

DSCN8276.JPG

DSCN8279.JPG

• Like 4

Nope, that is two different cars. Both are 1978 models and both are 4 speed factory equipped cars. The one with the dent is a 2/78 production and the one without the dent has only covered 38k miles from new and never had the side moldings attached.