IGNORED

Clutch Broke(?), Can’t disengage!

Bettan_85

When in neutral, my Clutch just fell through and my Clutch pedal reached the floor with no resistance. I could not disengage the clutch even though I let the pedal come up again. Had a look. Seems like the clutch has completely(?) disengaged? In the car, the mechanism moves when I press the pedal, but it seems like something broke inside the firewall and the clutch just ”fell out”? Is the clutch master cylinder broken? Something else? Really happy it didn’t happen during a Cruise!!!

I have a 240Z -73

Any help appreciated! Thanks!!! 

979C667C-520F-41BE-A4F7-6514CB6462F3.jpeg

5469DA2D-A070-46F0-B5B7-7496C5D44727.png

AD379AF0-3CF8-4436-8C0C-77EA871D8C70.png

Is the clutch hydraulic fluid full? Check the simple stuff first.

Get under the car an see if the clutch slave cylinder is moving and releasing correctly.  If not, you may just have a problem in the slave cylinder or hose between master cylinder and slave. You might even have a bad clutch master cylinder.

A failure in the clutch hydraulic system is more likely than failure of the actual clutch or the throwout assembly.

Edited by Pilgrim
  • Like 2

And loosen the rubber boot on the slave cylinder to check for fluid. It should be dry inside. If it's wet replace the cylinder and consider replacing the master cylinder at the same time. They both have a similar lifespan.

• Like 1

All good info.    Another possibility if the above check out is the clutch ball pivot has broken.   You will know when you examine the slave and the actuator arm it moves.   Hopefully not, its a little more labor intensive to get to.

Datsun Clutch Fork Pivot Ball, 240Z 260Z 280Z 280ZX, 1970-1983, OEM NEW

• Like 1

2 hours ago, siteunseen said:

When my clutches drop like that it's usually the slave cylinder. Nissan pickups, BMW 325 and an old ZX are my only experiences. No warning either, just dead pedal. Crank them over in gear to get off the roadway LOL

Yep, it usually is the slave cylinder. both times it happened to me I was enroute to somewhere. I can tell you from experience that a Z is very easy to drive without an operating clutch pedal. Little problem shifting up or down (as long as you match revs to the trans speed) , the fun comes at a stop light when you have to turn off the engine. 1st gear, half throttle, turn the key, it chugs forward a couple of feet and you're on your way.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1