IGNORED

5 Speed Transmission inspection and possible rebuild.

Av8ferg

If you have gear oil accumulated in the area where the shifter stabs into the striker rod, then you need the seals. Its not a big deal, if you don't address it now, just easy to do. So odd, I am almost sure my reverse lockout would not bolt in the wrong way, the holes were not evenly spaced IIRC.

8 hours ago, Dave WM said:

If you have gear oil accumulated in the area where the shifter stabs into the striker rod, then you need the seals. Its not a big deal, if you don't address it now, just easy to do. So odd, I am almost sure my reverse lockout would not bolt in the wrong way, the holes were not evenly spaced IIRC.

You are right Dave. There is about a mm difference in distance from the shank iirc so it should not be possible to fit it backwards.

10 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

Well, I took a gamble and decided to leave them alone. I could see the o-ring when pulled the striking rod out as far as possible. It looked fine to me. I guess was I’ll find out later if this was the right call. I’m going to be gone for work for over a week and I wanted to get this back together before something got lost. I have three kids and a very small garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last transmission I rebuild was leaking from the o-ring. It wasn't dripping on the floor, but it did attract a lot of dirt and grime.

Like Dave said, if you don't see any oil around the shifter, it should be ok. Unfortunately you can not replace them with the transmission in the car.

The othrr thing I would like to mention regarding oil leaks around this area is the pin that locks the stricking rod in place (p/n:32847 & 32847A). Use some sealant to cover the end. It won't leak much, but it can attrack dirt and grime around that area.