IGNORED

280z - Rear Bumper Term and Door Bumper Advice

Muzez

Hopefully two quick questions.

1. Does anyone know what the term is for this part?
    Inked2697BCBD-AE94-461E-B59D-5487A1C19969_LI (2).jpg
  2. For the rubber bump guards on the side of the car, are these either adhesive or riveted? Or some combination of both? Started pulling at the back and it looks like adhesive for at least the first 6cm or so, but didn't want to start pulling if there is likely to be a rivet in the middle. Inked85AE01A6-3188-4B60-97AE-673B34DA66D8_LI.jpg
Edited by dmuzial
Removed license plate

21 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

image.png

Part #57

image.png

As expected, NLA

image.png

The door molding was added on by someone, dealer or previous owner. It probably has screws or rivets.

@SteveJ Re: Sight-shield, thanks! Re: Door molding, I was hoping you wouldn't say that. ? 

19 minutes ago, dmuzial said:

Do you know if there is a good guide for accessing those screws or rivets? 

I think you have the adhesive type, not rivet on. If it's rivet on the black part can be pried out exposing screws or rivets that hold the silver channel part to the body. I had the screw on type. It looks like this...

20191012_103621_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

I think you have the adhesive type, not rivet on. If it's rivet on the black part can be pried out exposing screws or rivets that hold the silver channel part to the body. I had the screw on type. It looks like this...

@CanTechZ Definitely not the screw type then. If I pop the plastic paneling in the trunk or the door, I should be able to see the rivets if there are any right? 

Yes, if there are screw/rivets you would see them on the inside, a bit difficult on the door but definitely with the panels out in the hatch area. Remember that those panels are very fragile if you go that route. Usually with the screw/rivet type there are bullet shaped caps ends of the side moldings that I didn't see In your pictures and the fasteners are usually quite close to the ends. You said there was adhesive at the ends and you pulled it away for about 6cm, it's a pretty safe bet that yours don't have screws or rivets. If this is the only reason you would be removing the inside panels I would not think it's necessary.

If you zoom in real close on the picture of my moldings you will see the end caps. 

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

Yes, if there are screw/rivets you would see them on the inside, a bit difficult on the door but definitely with the panels out in the hatch area. Remember that those panels are very fragile if you go that route. Usually with the screw/rivet type there are bullet shaped caps ends of the side moldings that I didn't see In your pictures and the fasteners are usually quite close to the ends. You said there was adhesive at the ends and you pulled it away for about 6cm, it's a pretty safe bet that yours don't have screws or rivets. If this is the only reason you would be removing the inside panels I would not think it's necessary.

If you zoom in real close on the picture of my moldings you will see the end caps. 

Going to give it a try. Will post back with an update Friday. 

@CanTechZ Good news: Was the adhesive moulding and came off without a hitch. ?

Bad News, whem the PO repainted the car, they just left the moulding on. So will need to repaint the doors at some point. But either way, this is way better than welding up screw holes.

Also, I know its not original but the 302 silver looks a lot more exciting with some metal flake in it. 

IMG_3097.JPG

IMG_3096.JPG

• Like 2

Lucky it came off easily.  I wonder how it would look if you cleaned off the residue and buffed it. You might be able to hold off paint for a while by doing that? You could say it was a custom pin stripe from the PO ?.

• Like 4

On 5/9/2020 at 12:29 PM, CanTechZ said:

Good to hear it came off easily. Sorry to hear about the paint issue. ?

@CanTechZ Thanks, I appreciate it. It happens. People are always looking to cut a corner. Not sure the PO did any masking when they resprayed. There was paint on the suspension, wheel wells, seals, and everything else. So I knew it was going to need some TLC when I bought it lol. 

@gwri8 got all the residue off and it looks better. Going to buff it better once I get the car back together and out of the garage. At night, its harder to see but more noticeable in the day when the metal flake picks up the light. Either way, I am not doing any shows or concourse de elegance so the only person's judgement I am worried about is mine. I have a friend who does car wraps so I was debating temporarily wrapping it a different color entirely and then fixing the paint in a few years.