IGNORED

Won't go into gear

Ptero

19 minutes ago, 7tooZ said:

Make sure you check the bushing fits on the transmission before putting it in the crank.

The new one fit perfectly on the clutch alignment tool.  Doesn't hurt to try it on the transmission too I suppose.

22 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Make sure to confirm the height of your pressure plate and throwout sleeve stack.  It's a big deal if it's wrong.

https://www.classiczcars.com/search/?q=92mm

That's something I'm currently looking into.  I've got 3 different sized throwout sleeves on my table right now, but I haven't measured them.

I measured the new pressure plate when it was flat on the table and it was 1 3/4" from the table to the top of the fingers.

1 minute ago, Ptero said:

That's something I'm currently looking into.  I've got 3 different sized throwout sleeves on my table right now, but I haven't measured them.

I measured the new pressure plate when it was flat on the table and it was 1 3/4" from the table to the top of the fingers.

One of the threads in that search I linked has a picture of where to take the 92mm measurement.  It's from the flywheel surface to the ears that the fork rides on.  Set the sleeve on the pressure plate and measure.  92mm is not exact but if you get it it should work fine.  It's kind of a "can't go wrong" number that many people have confirmed.

I too can confirm Zed’s 92mm number. I just replaced my clutch and it works great with the “long” sleeve that was already on the car.

Glad you replaced the pilot bushing, the old one looked pretty far gone.

61b8dc17551d2955bd8897604cf5f394.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Got around to doing a few things today.

Found the right collar to get me to the 92mm sweet spot.

Replaced the rear main seal, installed the new pilot bushing, cleaned up and painted the transmission plate and installed the flywheel.

thumbnail_20200502_161226.jpg

thumbnail_20200502_195532.jpg

Edited by Ptero
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Job done.  Took a while to get all the parts and to find the time to get everything done.

First impressions are good.  I may have to adjust the clutch pedal position as per the FSM, but overall everything is working well.  

In the end I did the following:

Replaced the transmission (old one needs to be rebuilt)

Replaced rear seal on trans.

Replaced the differential from an r180 to r200 to keep the gearing correct for the trans I swapped in.

Replaced side seals, front seal & gasket of diff.

Replaced rear main seal.

Replaced clutch & pressure plate.

Resurfaced flywheel.

Now it's time to enjoy the car for the summer and break in the clutch.

Thanks to everyone who gave their helpful input!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1