IGNORED

Won't go into gear

Ptero

Looks like the diaphragm spring is broken and most probably more than one crack. If it does that, loose section can lodge between the pressure plate cover and the pressure plate hub. The pieces can get thrusted outwards by centrifugal force and jam the hub.

1 hour ago, Ptero said:

So, not the most inspiring start to this repair.  You guys got any ideas what these metal parts are from?

Yes.  Not good.  At least the balls are still in their races.  Sometimes they're on the magnet too.  That's the pieces of a retainer for a ball bearing assembly.  Usually it's from an adapter plate bearing.  @EuroDat knows the details there.  Your trans needs a rebuild.

The good news is that things will be soooo much better when it's back together.

• Like 1

Looks like what is left over from a failed bearing cage (retainer cage) 

That happens often when some foreign material gets lodged between the balls and the inner or outer ring (sometimes called race). The ball or balls jam and stop for a moment, but the cage is pushed further by all the other balls. This splits the cage open and then it fails shortly after.

The top left bearing in my photo shows the rivits clearly in your last photo.

I would advise at least replacing the bearings. You wont know all the damage until you strip it down.

IMG_1072.JPG

Screenshot_20200417-184238.jpg

Found the culprit.  One of the pins holding the pressure plate together broke off and got lodged.  Half the pressure plate was pressed in while the other half wasn't.  It relaxed after I took it apart, but there is still permanent damage to it.

Clutch appears to be in ok shape, but will be replaced anyways.

Flywheel also seems to be alright.  No grooves.  Smooth as far as my fingers can tell.

20200418_135128.jpg

20200418_135202.jpg

20200418_141646.jpg

Edited by Ptero

58 minutes ago, Ptero said:

Turns out I've got a spare 5 spd wide ratio transmission.  I'll be swapping over to that instead of rebuilding the one I just pulled.

How does a person forget about a spare transmission?

Don't forget that the first gear ratio matches certain diff ratios best.  You might be going back to a better match if the diff was never changed.  The close ratios used a 3.9, the wides a 3.54, in general.  Not a big deal just something to consider.

4 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

How does a person forget about a spare transmission?

Don't forget that the first gear ratio matches certain diff ratios best.  You might be going back to a better match if the diff was never changed.  The close ratios used a 3.9, the wides a 3.54, in general.  Not a big deal just something to consider.

haha, I've been collecting parts for several years.  Sometimes I forget what's all stored in my shop.  I have 4 spares, but couldn't remember if they were all 4 spd or if there were any 5 speeds.  Turns out there was one!