IGNORED

Frozen Master Cylinder/Booster Damage

Yarb

Went to replace the master cylinder this afternoon. Car has not been driven for 12 years or so. The master cylinder  was frozen. There are signs of fluid leaking on the front of the booster over time. Here are some pics of what I found after removing the master cylinder. The booster makes a light swooshing sound when the pedal is pressed up and down. I would assume the booster is shot. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks

150BC4DF-5DDD-4036-AC92-0CA8AD9A1264.jpeg

58ABD872-9C18-46B9-A0ED-23C3D3C55114.jpeg

B7A8A088-8652-4ABD-B3C1-55444B4DD304.jpeg

CBDC5DD9-8DFE-474B-8772-55CEEC0C1436.jpeg

I bought new stuff for my 40 plus year old car all off amazon.com.  It was around $200 for the booster and masters then I did the whole system, rear drums and shoes, and cylinders, front rotors and pads, then stainless steel short lines to the front and rear I found on ebay.  You need good brakes.

Edit, without looking at my receipts I'd say I spent $500 total

Here's a common problem with that whooshing sound your hearing.

Edited by siteunseen

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=power+brake+san+jose&ia=web

^^ these guys can rebuild the booster for you, I'd call them up and see if they are open.

I used a beck n arnley MC from rockauto.com, might be worth inspecting the calipers to ensure the seals are working as expected, i had to rebuild mine.

Hawk makes some nice pads, but there are plenty of people that like other brands due to them "eating" the rotor, I'm on my first pair still, very happy with the braking performance.

Check your local auto parts stores first.  You never what old dusty parts they have that have been waiting just for you.  Wasn't that long ago that you could get a reman booster at OReilly Auto.

People have reported problems with quality but might be worth a look.

OReilly's not looking good though...

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

I had Power Brake Exchange rebuild my brake booster last May.  I checked my receipt and it was 120 plus 15 for shipping.  It was less than a week turn-a-round.  Came back great.  Take measurements of how far out the pushrod protrudes.  I did not to that and had to adjust it by trial and error. 

The system will be completely rebuilt other than the proportioning valve. Power brake exchange is sending a rebuilt unit on Monday. I’ll report back when the booster arrives and post some pics.