IGNORED

S30 Sheet Metal - Body and Chassis Panel Thicknesses

Namerow

Here are measurements for both doors and from a LH door from my 12'70 parts car. All measurements are bare metal taken from the top window edge with the chrome strip removed. The door handle openings are too small to measure through.

7/70 LH door vin 06521 measurement by micrometer: .031" (.79mm) by digital caliper: .80mm

LH Door HLS30-06521.jpg

7/70 RH door vin 06521 measurement by micrometer: .033" (.84mm) by digital caliper: .84mm

RH Door HLS30-06521.jpg

12/70 LH door vin 16531 measurement by micrometer: .033" (.84mm) by digital caliper: .83mm

LH Door HLS30-16531.jpg

Sorry, I don't know how to rotate images when uploading, they look correct on my computer. Also regarding measuring, I prefer to use a micrometer when possible as it is more precise. When measuring with a digital or vernier caliper I find it best to only use the end of the jaws for measuring sheet metal, when using the full length of the jaws flatness of the sheet metal can effect the measurement. Also I find it's much harder with a caliper to get a true reading while taking a picture.

Is that a roof panel I see on one of those racks?  If it is, and if you don't mind the climb, it would be interesting to get a thickness measurement off that piece.  I can't see it being less than 0.8mm, but it would be nice to know for sure.  Hard to get this measurement off an intact car, unless it's been cut for a sunroof.  Not urgent, but maybe when you better access develops.

59 minutes ago, Namerow said:

Is that a roof panel I see on one of those racks?  If it is, and if you don't mind the climb, it would be interesting to get a thickness measurement off that piece.  I can't see it being less than 0.8mm, but it would be nice to know for sure.  Hard to get this measurement off an intact car, unless it's been cut for a sunroof.  Not urgent, but maybe when you better access develops.

Good eye - yes it is.  It's a patch for 05677 - which has a massive sun roof hole cut.  I should be able to get several spot measurements fairly easily ....

In the top right corner you can see the NOS rear qtr (also for 05677).  I plan to measure that too, but I don't really know when it was made so it might not help much.  It is part number 78101 - E8300.  Its vented, so it is not from a Series 1 ...

Edited by ConVerTT