IGNORED

Early vs. Late Series I 240Z's

Randalla

On 3/20/2020 at 8:38 PM, w3wilkes said:

However I don't think you'd find a 260Z that originally had 240Z bumpers or tail lights and I've never heard of a 240Z that had 260Z bumpers or tail lights.

It's wise to be mindful of the terminology. '260Z' doesn't mean just one thing in just the same way as '240Z' doesn't mean just one thing.

Here's a '260Z' model introduction from factory literature. Is it wearing '240Z' bumpers, or are they just S30-series Z bumpers...?

R-Drive-RS30Q.jpg

10 hours ago, Carl Beck said:

Where Weaker is Better:  New US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) were issued and put into force for all Vehicles Manufactured on or after March 1971 to be sold in the USA.

One of them specified the amount of force at which the steering wheels had to break-away or yield. It was intended to lower the number of broken wrists and arms - when Drivers were thrown against the steering wheel. Much the same as earlier specifications applied to the collapsable steering column requirements.  To meet that standard, the original design steering wheel had to weakened and it was done by punching out the former indents in the steel.  Figuring out how to meet that new standard most economically;  and putting it into production -  was one reason the Series II 240Z’s had to be put into production by or before March of 1971.

Following that local news report, let's see what was happening in The Rest Of The World...

Nissan - like any other serious motor vehicle manufacturer which intended to sell its products all over the world - was keeping up with regulations introduced on a rolling basis as advised by United Nations Working Party 29 ('WP29'), which had been formed in 1958 as the 'World Forum For Harmonization Of Vehicle Regulations'. Japanese manufacturers like Nissan were also compliant with Japan's own Japanese Industrial Standards ('JIS') and it made sense for them - wherever feasible - to design their products in a way that made them simultaneously compliant with as many standards as possible. Nissan was not designing to comply solely with FMVSS regulations, and nor were FMVSS regulations the sole driver of Nissan's designs, evolutions and updates.

Perforated-spoke Izumi steering wheels were introduced to the Japanese market S30-series Z models (which used 'flatter', less dished steering wheels than the Export models) starting in the December 1970/January 1971 period of manufacture:

SS-Z3-Steering Wheel change.jpg

• Like 1

In the same vein as the discussion, were there different oil pans on early cars? Mine has some ribs on the lowest section and the plug is on the right side. According to an eBay seller they were only available in that configuration for the first year and a half. Is he full of it or is that true?

11 hours ago, SurferD said:

In the same vein as the discussion, were there different oil pans on early cars? Mine has some ribs on the lowest section and the plug is on the right side. According to an eBay seller they were only available in that configuration for the first year and a half. Is he full of it or is that true?

Here's a paint-stripped oil pan from my 4/70 production-dated L24, showing the pressed ribs, drain plug and brazed-on reinforcement/harmonic panel:

R0013591.JPG

R0013590.JPG

R0013586.JPG

R0013588.JPG

R0013589.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks guys! So it looks like the singe rib is the earliest version. They also moved the lowest part of the sump more to the center on the later ones. I have that kind. Was the braised panel factory or a aftermarket fix for cracks? These cars seem to have endless differences. 

early series 1 pan.jpg

late series 1 pan.jpg

Edited by SurferD