IGNORED

Hitachi 280ZX Distributors

Av8ferg

If I did it again, I would not have bothered with Cardone off RockAuto - it was no better than my worn 280zx dizzy.

I have not tried the others but in spite of my comments on some of the annoyances with 123, with the benefit of hindsight, I would say it’s worth buying. Especially now that you know what to look out for during the installation process.

If I did it again, I would not have bothered with Cardone off RockAuto - it was no better than my worn 280zx dizzy.

I have not tried the others but in spite of my comments on some of the annoyances with 123, with the benefit of hindsight, I would say it’s worth buying. Especially now that you know what to look out for during the installation process.

Sure, it sounds like the best solution but is it really worth $545? That seems steep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

That's one option.  I think that most of us just make the most of what we can find.  You'll find stories of people returning multiple Cardone remans until they got one that worked.  Reman world is rough.

Here's a ZX distributor for $1000 - 

That's one option.  I think that most of us just make the most of what we can find.  You'll find stories of people returning multiple Cardone remans until they got one that worked.  Reman world is rough.
Here's a ZX distributor for $1000 - 

Well, that’s not good news regarding the Cardone distributor. I’m sort of expected to hear that. Lots of crap out there made in Chinese sweat shops. Maybe the 123ignition is a safer albeit expensive route. I’m going to look up replacement parts for mine ZX distributor and see if I can pull a home rebuild off. I’ve read the modules could be bad too due to proximity to intake manifold (heat).
This sucks trying to find a good solution. I hate half-arse solutions.

Put up a parts wanted ad.  I know that I have passed a couple of good used 280Z distributors on to others.  Classic Z people know what to look for and might have a used one that will be just fine for a reasonable price.

You can even use a 240Z points distributor with an MSD or Crane module.  But the MSD and Crane modules are still kind of spendy.  260Z is like a 280Z also, so there's an oddball you might look for too.

Well, I’ve got time to work through this problem. If I find a good 280z distributor, is it easy to install the e12-92 module? It appears the ZX and Z distributor housings are different.

Yes, the ZX distributor body has a spot to attach the miniaturized module directly to the side.  The 280Z distributors run a long set of wires to a remote module in the cabin, by the fusebox.

Your 280Z module is probably still working.  But, it's old.  But, it can be replaced with a GM HEI module.  EuroDat even wrote up a procedure to make it look stock.

• Like 1

Th hardest things about swapping modules tends to be getting the little screws out.
how good are you at hiding things from the wife??

I’m pretty good. We have a $500 policy. No single expenditures exceeding $500 without consulting the other person. If I could buy the 123ignition in 2 parts I’d be good, but that’s not in the spirit of our policy.

• Like 2

I’m pretty good. We have a $500 policy. No single expenditures exceeding $500 without consulting the other person. If I could buy the 123ignition in 2 parts I’d be good, but that’s not in the spirit of our policy.

Brilliant! My car is in my wife’s name (a 40th present to each other) - so when parts arrive all I have to say is: “but darling it’s for YOUR car, I just want it to be the best it can be”!
  • Haha 1

Brilliant! My car is in my wife’s name (a 40th present to each other) - so when parts arrive all I have to say is: “but darling it’s for YOUR car, I just want it to be the best it can be”!

Ha! My wife is way too smart to fall for that one. She get rid of all my cars if she could and put me in 99 Honda Accord. I have a 2000 Viper that my father gave me right before he passed away. She hates to even look at it. Wants me to sell it immediately but since it’s a rare car 1 of 34, I’ve convinced her the car will be highly valuable later. She would set it on fire if she could. The Z is at another location so she doesn’t have to look at daily it but thinks it’s a piece of crap. She wouldn’t be seen in either car for any reason.
48d4eaa6791cf1b110f4c1d57c950c6e.jpgf81f5be97cf1b48a6efd4a348486509b.jpg

• Like 1