IGNORED

Expansion tank bypass

classic240z

Yep, it's true... you don't have to use the hoses sold by Nissan. In fact, it's probably better to use a more modern material. It will only take another 20-30 years to become brittle, but, hey.... maybe we'll have flying cars by then and ANYTHING on wheels will be a 'classic', eh?

• 17 years later...

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2002 at 12:01 AM, Mike said:

Yep, it's true... you don't have to use the hoses sold by Nissan. In fact, it's probably better to use a more modern material. It will only take another 20-30 years to become brittle, but, hey.... maybe we'll have flying cars by then and ANYTHING on wheels will be a 'classic', eh?

Nope, no flying cars.  Some of us are now coming across this issue ROFL Probably one of the better threads I've read on this subject.

Can anyone provide more detail on what areas needed to be "hammered in" going from a early 71 plastic tank to a 72 metal tank?

Is that your problem, vapor lock?  I see you live farther South than me so I'll throw this at you.  Make sure you have heat shields in place then stop the hot water from flowing through your carbs if they have that feature.  My '72 did, now they run cool to the touch but I also have a ceramic coated header that reduces tons of heat over the cast iron OE exhaust manifold.

Lots of info on this delete...

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1BOFA_enUS494US494&ei=A4sLXsLRJI_u_QbDvZCYCQ&q=removing+hot+water+through+the+carbs+classiczcars.com&oq=removing+hot+water+through+the+carbs+classiczcars.com&gs_l=psy-ab.12...6139.11401..16557...0.0..0.79.1293.19......0....1..gws-wiz.d3KLmkE4Hp4&ved=0ahUKEwiC376PuuDmAhUPd98KHcMeBJMQ4dUDCAs

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

I'm contemplating bypass because one of the plastic inlets broke on the current tank and swapping to a metal would require some hammering in. Have not experienced vapor lock.

The current set-up does have round top SU carbs and SS headers from ZStory. There is the stock heat shield between carbs and headers. I am being thorough in the thought process.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...