IGNORED

280Z Cv axle conversion-

Yarb

Need some help troubleshooting a problem with the cv axel installation. Bought the adapters from Silvermine an had the flanges welded to the adapters. This was the final piece to rebuilding the rear suspension. I understand there is a left and right 300zxt axle which I ordered. During the install the shafts were extremely tight and difficult to install. At first I thought they were not seated all the way but that was not the case. I did verify  that the axles did have compression but still very difficult to put into position. The axle hubs spin easily until t he shafts are installed. After the shafts are installed it seems like they are binding due to the pressure between the axle and the diff. Double checked the cv axle p/n’s and they are correct. Can anyone shed some light on this? So close to being done with this part of the build. Thanks for the help everyone has given so far.

Stock length Z31 turbo axles do not fit the s30 chassis, as you are finding out. The shorter of the two can ‘just’ fit the long side if you’re lucky. This has been an on-going discussion for years. Someone made a set of shorter axles shafts discussed on hybridz.org. Jon Mortensen I think? Long since un-available. Driveshaft shop has a solution I think.

I don’t understand why these are being marketed by different sources. Selling the weld on plates and being told to use the 300zxt axles. I now realize they don’t fit properly. I used the Track Automotive axles which I guess I will try to return. Silvermine offers the axles but we’re more expensive. 

Silvermine sells the came axle I installed. Spoke with them at length and my binding seemed to be caused by the axle being well below horizontal. Jacking the control arm towards horizontal relieved the binding. Continuing on with rear brake install and will be able to check everything at ride height.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 12:40 PM, Yarb said:

I don’t understand why these are being marketed by different sources.

They're being "marketed" for the 300ZXT's.  The fit problems with their use in the Z's is well-known.  All kinds of tricks tried, cage-flipping, adjustable control arms, cutting and rewelding, etc.

The main reason that people want them is for their increased strength.  If you don't have over 200 HP, 250 ft-lbs torque, and big grippy tires, they don't offer much over the plain old u-joint half-shafts.