IGNORED

need guidance on 78 z gas tank and sending unit

zeenubee

Trying once again to get this thing on the road again.  as I am no mechanic, I have in the hands of a shop.   I am trying to get some idea of what is fair $$.  What should I expect to pay to get fuel tank boiled, cleaned and sealed?  And what should I expect to pay for a sending unit?  The tank is rusty for sure.  know nothing in re to sending unit.  Also says clutch master and slave need replacement.  It seems the slave was replaced about 3 yrs ago,  but has been sitting all that time.  Valve adjustment??

Edited by zeenubee
typo

The sending units are getting hard to find, if you still have the old one you can get it rebuild by these guys, https://zcarsource.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=fuel+sending+unit

Replace the M/C for brakes and for the clutch, they are quite inexpensive for what you get, you may be able to salvage your slave cylinder but you will have to take it apart to know, at any rate they aren't expensive either.

Valve adjustment is always a good idea on an engine you don't know the history of.

OK  Thanks...I am going ahead with the gas tank, clutch, valve adj...he says the sending unit is available...hope he is right.  Do have the old one though if necessary.

Was able to see the car from underneath for the first time today and it seems the previous owner did tell me the truth:  The car is very solid through out and he did what he said he did...new struts(? type and brand), new hd sway bars front and rear, new bushings all around, headers of some type and larger exhaust pipe,  Sooo thankful for no rust!!!  I want to post some pics: suggestions on specific spots of most interested?

Should have it running in about a week after the gas tank comes back.

Grateful for all suggestions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

If my memory is correct, Wheee came up with this fix. If the sending unit has electrical continuity (check it with an ohm meter), submerge it in CLR for 24-48 hours. You'll be amazed and it will be usable as well as looking good.

Thanks for reference. Yes, CLR works magic and restore s the unit quite well. Mine was pretty decrepit and is now 100%

• Like 2

I went through the same thing with my sending unit.  I soaked it in EvapoRust for a couple of days, and it looked and worked like new.

Before, pretty crusty:

20180903_124601.jpg

After, working just fine:

20180916_125015.jpg

20180916_125030.jpg

In the left of the after photos, you can see the homemade soaking "tank" I made.  Just scraps of plywood nailed together with a trash bag liner.

Edited by the_tool_man
Added photos
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok now for an update.  just got educated by the shop I took it to...meaning expensive!  Anyway the main issue in regard to this post and one I previously post yrs ago...gas tank rust and sending unit rust.  He found a replacement unit somewhere, had the tank cleaned and sealed. 

fired right up but with lots of black smoke...he traced that problem to the corrosion on the cold run sensor( a familiar tune if I remember correctly reading in this forum).

So watch for more questions as I start to sort the rest of this out myself...with forum help and guidance.  I appreciate those of you who commented and offered advice!

Still plan on cleaning that old sending unit.