IGNORED

L28 full rebuild assembly

Av8ferg

I've done a little digging on the subject (because I'm in a similar situation), and my understanding is that any pan will bolt up to any block just fine. There are some issues however...

First issue is fitment into the car. Either the original (middle sump) Z pan OR the rear sump ZX pan will work in the Z. But the converse is not true... The middle sump pan will not work in the ZX. But since you're putting the motor in a Z (and not a ZX), either pan would fit fine.

Other issue is that I (believe) you need to use the correct sump pickup tube for the pan. In other words, if you're using a middle sump Z pan, you need the middle sump pickup. (And conversely, if you're using a rear sump ZX pan, you need to use the ZX pickup.

• Like 1

MSA shows one for '79 through '83.  No picture and out of stock.

https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/classic14b

I've got a ZX one out in my storage building but it's raining and I'd have to drag a bunch of stuff out to get to it.  I will go out there when it quits and see if I can find it.

Edited by siteunseen

Well I know from holding the two of them in my hands that the stock ones for the ZX are different than the ones from the Z. The one for the ZX is a little longer and comes off at more of an angle towards the back of the engine (which makes sense since the sump is in the rear). There are pics on ebay of both styles, but without them side by side, it's really hard to see the differences.

Looking at the oil pans though, the holes down into the sump look like they're pretty much in the same spots, so I don't know if you can actually get one style to fit into the pan that it wasn't designed for. That link to zcardepot seems to indicate that it's (at least possible) to share the same pickup tube on all years 70-83, but that may be an aftermarket difference from stock?

In any event, if you've got the ZX pickup there, should be easy enough to bolt it on and see if the oil pan will fit into place.

• Like 1

Are you sure you didn't just imagine it?

I’m not following you ZH? Should it not fit? I bolted the pickup on the the oil pan fit on just fine. Don’t think it was rubbing on the pan but the pickup might be close to the oil drain plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk