IGNORED

total sudden electrical failure

kenward1000

71 240z owned for 5 months.  Been on two 900 mile rallies, driven daily, been running great.  Decided to re-check vacuum pressure, after replacing two leaking hoses (block to intake manifold, intake manifold to brake booster).  Started car, let it warm up.  Shut it off, plugged in vacuum gauge hose.  Car won't start.  Won't crank, no turn signals, no horn, no nothing.  Even though I thought that plugging in the vacuum gauge couldn't possibly cause the problem, removed it and still no electrical power.

Battery is 2 years old, measures 12.75vdc.  Searched all forums for similar issues.  Charged overnight, still no electrics.  Jumped from a known good battery, still no electrics.

No voltage detected at any fuse in the panel, all fuses good.  I'm electrically competent.  Would appreciate any tips on where I can look for potential failures.

Aha!  That image led me to the problem spot.  Now I can see the "fusible link", which looks very much like a length of black wire.  The "fusible link" provides +12vdc to the wiring harness, through the plastic connectors. 

The tab of the connector on the harness side had broken off sometime in the past.  So the DPO had put a wrap of duct tape around the connectors to hold them together.  For some reason there's no slack in that wire on my car, so the connectors eventually pulled apart.  When they were no longer touching, that fact was covered up by the duct tape.  My "fusible link" shows continuity.  

Zip ties and clear heat shrink to the rescue, all electrical power restored, car starts.

Should get a spare starter "fusible link" to carry with me on rallies, where a single-point failure means an expensive flatbed home.  On the harness side, need to lengthen the wire by 2" to prevent tension strain on the connector and find a new connector end that has a functioning tab.

Are there other "fusible links" in the wiring harness?

Thanks for the replies!