IGNORED

Sunroof replacement panel

NVZEE

This Wheeler Dealers Toyota Celica project had one of the dreaded aftermarket sunroofs, so they went with Plan B to fix it - filling the hole with a piece of sheet metal rather than replacing the entire roof. The extensive weld-and-fill process was left off, but the video does show cutting and tacking the panel beginning at 22:30

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

So they had 11 something in it and sold it for 12k which didn't include the 54 manhours...

The english wheel is a must for making a good patch, but I suspect it takes some practice to get it right

Totally agree.  Tacking on a panel that large and matching the roof curvature is probably not something  easily accomplished by a beginner out behind the garage.  Lots of grinding, smoothing, shaping, and hoping nothing warps from the welding heat would be quite a task.  The Celica roof panel Ant worked on looked perfect when finished.  I don't remember them saying, "Your results may vary.".

Dennis

• Haha 1

Apparently never heard of 3m panel bonding adhesives (or one of several other brands). Welding is SO yesterday..... (said the man who thinks EFI is something new and cool....)

Edited by zKars
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, zKars said:

Apparently never heard of 3m panel bonding adhesives (or one of several other brands). Welding is SO yesterday..... (said the man who thinks EFI is something new and cool....)

I thought about panel bond too. Since he didn't do a butt weld and had the nice lap it would have been easy to panel bond that in and move on