IGNORED

Frame Rail Repair/Replace Estimate...?

mbz

Hi All,

Open question to the group, looking for info on the cost of frame rail repair/replacement.

I am considering purchasing a '73 240z, however during initial inspection I found that the back end of the frame rail on the driver's side is rusted / rotted out.

It looks like it needs to be repaired or replaced.

I am trying to factor the cost of fixing the frame rails into the value of the vehicle, but I really have no idea what it would cost.

Should they just be repaired?

Should they be replaced?

If I fix one side, should I fix the other side?

Input is requested and appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by mbz

How much money does a trip down the frame rail rabbit hole cost?

ie; "If you're going to fix one frame rail, you may as well fix the other while having the work done, thus it will cost $XXXX amount per rail and about $XXX amount to have both done."

OR - maybe the answer is more like "Just do a spot repair on the rusted part and it will only cost $XXXX amount"

It seems to me that the frame rails are pretty darn important, especially if you want to be able to put the car up on jack stands and work on it.

It looks like a frame rail replacement kit on MSA costs $505 after tax.

What kind of labor costs are involved with welding in new frame rails?

Depending on what it costs, it may or may not make the vehicle worth purchasing.

Edited by mbz

Hey guys, so I got some info from a friend of mine over at Hakone Motorsports.... based on the attached photo, he thinks I'd be looking at not only replacing both frame rails but also possibly the floor pan on the drivers side as well. Looks like I could be in for $2000 - $2500 worth of repairs.

Which means I'll be passing on this purchase because the asking price is just too high when considering the repair expenses required.

IMG_5427.jpg

Yes, I see comparable vehicles in respectable condition selling for about $25k on the high end.

Considering the frame rail and floor pan work, the paint prep and paint job work, plus other mechanical and interior work, it would put me right about at that $25k range.

Which means I would have to put in quite a bit of time and money without any significant margin potential when finished.

I told the seller at what price I’m a buyer and to call me if he ever decides to sell at my offer price.

As it stands right now, he’s about double my offer price.

33 minutes ago, mbz said:

Yes, I see comparable vehicles in respectable condition selling for about $25k on the high end.

Considering the frame rail and floor pan work, the paint prep and paint job work, plus other mechanical and interior work, it would put me right about at that $25k range.

Which means I would have to put in quite a bit of time and money without any significant margin potential when finished.

I told the seller at what price I’m a buyer and to call me if he ever decides to sell at my offer price.

As it stands right now, he’s about double my offer price.

I suspect other comparable vehicles have hidden issues. Most do. Where as after you have gone through the car for the 25k there shouldn't be any of those

#2 cars on Hagerty are valued at $38,300 and we saw a 73' sell a few months back for $50+

Good points, but I'm trying to stay as conservative as possible on the actual resale value.

I think $25k is pretty reasonable and a very attractive price point.

But like I said, I told the seller my buying price, if he wants to sell it to me he knows where I am.

If he wants to sell to someone else and get more money, good for him I applaud his efforts.

• Like 1