IGNORED

Last Chance To Buy A New Datsun

psdenno

Nissan, has really been struggling for sometime in my opinion. It all started I think when they merged with Renault in 99’. They let sales supersede quality and the brand has taken a hit for it. The Nissan trucks used to be great....now they’re total garbage (Why but a Frontier when a Tacoma is far superior) . They make some of crappiest transmissions next to Chrysler/Fiat who’s really suck. Nissan has been eclipsed by all the major Japanese brands except Mitsubishi which sucks too now and go figure they are now a part of the Nissan-Renault Alliance as of 2017. I wouldn’t buy a Nissan today as there are much better cars for the money. Sad to say because I love the Z cars, and the old trucks. The current Z are way long in the tooth for an update. Nissan has some leadership issues. They need to reinvent themselves and soon!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nissan's problems started well before Renault came into the picture. Whereas Toyota and Honda had significant production capacity in America in the early 90s, Nissan did not have enough, and when the yen got strong, Nissan was priced out of the marketplace.

I read an article a few years back about some of the worst business decisions ever made by a corporation.  I seem to recall for example the "New Coke" vs "Old Coke" debacle was one of them.  Killing the Datsun brand was one of the worst of the list.  As I think back during the late '70s, there were 2-3 brands of Japanese cars, Toyota, Datsun, to a lesser extent Honda.  Then everyone else.  The Datsun brand was probably their most valuable asset. 

I remember their advertising during that period.  They weren't even advertising their cars. They were advertising their brand.  "The name is Nissan".  Can you imagine dissolving a well known name and then introducing a new brand to an established market? 

• Like 2