IGNORED

part of the prob with eBay

mar2c

Beware fellow eBayers! Always check your sellers and other bidders ID history! You will be surprised to find how many of them with (0) history got their ID the same or about the same day as the seller or even the same day the item went on sale. Coincidence? I don't think so either. Then there's the bider who has had his ID for 2 years and hasn't bouhgt or sold anything!

When I come across these guys I email them and tell them I refuse to bid against (0) bidders. You will see this especially on cars and high dollar items. I once emailed a guy who sold a car to a (0) bidder telling him that if his buyer flaked on him I would buy the car. He emailed me the next day and told me I could have the car. I told him to shove it!

Good luck, Tom

I charge $3.25 shipping just for 1 custom cd. The reason alot of people charge so much is to cover costs.

Ebay placement fees, final value fees, paypal then takes a cut as well and then the actual shipping charge.

Some people do over charge but the smart ones charge enough to cover their fees so they actually make a profit.

Originally posted by Datzun76

I charge $3.25 shipping just for 1 custom cd. The reason alot of people charge so much is to cover costs.

Ebay placement fees, final value fees, paypal then takes a cut as well and then the actual shipping charge.

Some people do over charge but the smart ones charge enough to cover their fees so they actually make a profit.

Not pointing fingers at you specifically, but eBay fees and any overhead costs should rightly be included in the cost of the item up for auction. That is why there is a MINIMUM bid figure on every auction. Also, PayPal provides a service for the fees that they charge, so sellers who don't want to pay the fees should not sign up for the service. Last I checked PayPals policy was that fees for their service should NOT be added to auctions, but included in the purchase price. Buyers who purchase Money Orders never get a deal with reduced "shipping costs" on any of the auctions that I see on eBay.

It is my contention that it is un-ethical to label the cost of fees associated with the sale (it is a sale) as "shipping costs" and to surprise the bidder with those fees at the end of the auction.

Sellers who are too devious to price their auctions so that they make a profit on the actual auction price are what give eBay sellers in general a bad reputation.

Again, NOT pointing fingers at you specifically. At least you post your "shipping charge". so people know what you are doing. Postage on a CD doesn't run more than a buck, and a mailer doesn't cost much more than $.50 Anyone with more than 2 brain cells knows that.

It is the "surprise" $10 shipping fee on a oil filter at the end of the auction that gripes the $hit out of me.

Like mperdau said, a lot of people selling parts don't bother or care to shop around for the best prices on shipping or the quickest shipper either.

I just sent a box of parts to Atlanta from here, took 2 days Priority Mail for under 5 bucks. Yet, I bought something on Ebay in Kansas that is costing me 5.75 shipping by UPS and it still isn't here(shipped the 27th) even though the tracking says it should deliver today. The parts I bought could have gone into a padded envelope and gone by USPS Priority Mail and been here in no more than 3 days.

I only use UPS when the package is too large for USPS...

If I remember correctly, USPS has a deal with FedEX to deliver their time critical shipments.....

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

Like mperdau said, a lot of people selling parts don't bother or care to shop around for the best prices on shipping or the quickest shipper either.

So the buyer should pay for the laziness of the seller????:stupid:

I don't thinks so! "Homey Don't Play That!"

(and I know you don't feel that way either, Keith!)

A nephew or mine buys and sells marbles-mostly buys. Some of the sellers charge up to $10.00 ship one marble!! If he wins a marble he has bid on, he sends the seller a mailer with return postage prepaid along with his payment. This can save him $8.00. Once in awhile a seller will complain to him but they really have no choice but to use his mailer.

I never said to pay it Carl....

But a lot of buyers don't read the full description either.. in which case it's caveat emptor.

I always read the shipping and insurance policy and won't buy from some who won't at least post their prices...That's an open invitation for someone to take your money.

If for nothing other than annoying a seller, e-mail them and ask them what the shipping is going to cost and also ask if they will ship it by another avenue other than the one they have posted in their auction.:ermm:

Ebay is no different than buying a car or finding an "honest" mechanic, if you don't like something, go elsewhere because there will be others selling the same product.

If you get taken, the one good thing about Ebay is that you can post your dissatisfaction in the feedback and if others are shopping wisely, then they will know up front what they are getting into.

You can have your leg back, Keith! ( I didn't realize that it was as rusty as your parts car! LOL)

I was playing devil's advocate.

I always ask for shipping quotes if it isn't specified, and if they later quote a different shipping cost, I forward their first quote right back at them with nothing more than a question mark above it.

This thread caught my interest because I buy and sell on ebay also. I'd like to say first that there is hopefully no hostility brewing here. I certainly don't want to create any, anyway :classic:

Watching ebay pretty closely, I also noticed the seller's shipping rates that were mentioned in the first post. I questioned them too, but then I took a look at his feedback and he does get a lot of praise for speed of delivery, and not very many neg. comments at all. My conclusion at the time was maybe he uses 2nd day air? Just a thought.

As a seller, I use UPS for as often as I can. It may be seen as lazy by some, and I understand, but I see it as more practical. There are a lot of days that I have 10 or more packages going out. To me it is not practical to take 10+ packages to the post office with 10+ delivery confirmation forms, and 10+ insurance forms. 7 times out of 10 when I offer USPS service, the buyer elects to take insurance at an extra $1.30, making a small priority package $5.15 plus .50 or so for materials (not newspapers :)) makes it over $5.50. UPS always includes free insurance (I don't charge extra, anyway because it is so cheap) and tracking. I have never had a UPS package that I sent get lost or damaged, or been accused of non-delivery. When potential buyers ask ahead of time about the method, I'm flexible on that...but I'm still not too fond of padded envelopes. I've seen too much crushed merchandise in my mailbox over the years. I agree completely that the speed of UPS is on average far behind priority mail, but I just feel more comfortable with it, as a buyer and a seller.

Sorry for the length here. This is just my take on things. Thanks for listening.

Oops, kinda stuck my foot in my mouth didn't I mwz?:cross-eye

I get an attitude with UPS at times, but they are no different than the Post Office, most of the time they do a good job and then once in a while they screw up.

Even packages shipped by Priority Mail get lost once in a while... been there, done that.. luckily the shipper purchased the item on another auction and shipped it to me as a replacement for the one he couldn't track through the PO as he could not produce the right receipt for the shipment...