IGNORED

part of the prob with eBay

mar2c

Originally posted by mar2c

$13 just for shipping ?!?!? correct me if i'm wrong, but the cable isn't THAT HEAVY, is it ?

That is insane. Shipping cross country USPS Priority Mail wouldn't be more than $6.00, and if the seller had any brains they would order the free shipping boxes and tape from USPs.

But at least he's warning you upfront what he plans to do. My beef is when the shipping cost isn't stated, then after the auction you find out that the seller is making up on shipping charges for the good deal you got on the actual bid/sale.

I have to agree with Carl. It is the sellers of small or light items that charge high shipping to cover not getting a high selling price that gets me. I've had four rims from Washington cost $35 and a grille from the same state set me back $27. Identical spare tire covers varied by $15 between the two coasts (shipped to Iowa).

I guess I shouldn't complain as long as the merchandise arrives in good condition. A $50 windshield for a 70 only cost me $12 to ship. The reason it was so cheap was it was only wrapped in two layers of bubble wrap. Bet you can't guess how that arrived! Or do they all bow and make funny sounds? I haven't opened it, just cut a small hole in the wrap. Foolish enough to stick my finger in and was rewarded with two nice chards. Since there aren't many Z's left around here, I'll have to stay at the mercy of ebay sellers. Most of them have been great to do business with.

had one ebay sale quote me $15.00 freight then emailed me back it was too heavy so they needed $25.00 when it arrived in the orginal manufactures box the postage charge was $11.00 but no refund

Suppose its just the fun of Ebay

Mick

As a buyer, I have had some fun on E-bay with experience mostly good, but I'm moving on to dealing with the network of people I met and places I found. I generally see the "new" stuff bid way out of sight and with a little detective work, I have found places to buy the same stuff at or below the opening price. I have never been ripped off or had a deal go south. I think E-bayers keep it pretty honest. E-bay has its place. In a few months, it got me well connected and my restoration project off the ground. I continue to browse and bottom fish, but I go to other places for specific stuff.

it was about a nice little brass key chain, really nice and shiny.

never seen one like it but, the shipping was 5.95!!!!! for a key chain.

ummmmm ok, i dont think so.

then it was well we dont ship it in a bubble wrap envelope.

well guess what, thats how it came with a postage of .95 i suppose the 5 bucks was for handling

that was from TIR!!

Once I made a big boo-boo on shipping. Me, the expert :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: decided that shipping 4 rims would cost 60 bucks, well it actually turned out to be something like 85!

The thing is, after that honest buyer got my wheels, he actually sent me a 20 dollar bill in the mail!

Its just awesome when you can deal with honest people but sometimes you get screwed on shipping or even the actual item. Like the guy from zcar.com who has my 30 dollars AND my strut tower caps! (for like 3 months now..)

:finger:

Originally posted by Alfadog

A lot of the profit is made in the shipping!

I paid $2 for a magazine once... cost $4 for shipping!!!

And I didn't even receive it ROFL ROFL ROFL

COuld be worse, I paid $3.50 USD for a magazine from Australia that was published as a free magazine (not complaining here); but the shipping to USA cost me an extra $10.00 USD.

So basically I paid $14.00 USD for a free magazine, which took 4 weeks to arrive. It was an interesting read to see how literary styles in OZ differ from USA, and to view the adverts, but I would never bid on stuff like that anymore!

I have purchased, and sold on eBay. I have only had one bad purchase and one bad sell over ~150 items so I am fairly happy. Before I started selling I decided that I would set up my auctions so the shipping was never a surprise. I did this because it pissed me off when shipping is was excessive. The other thing I do is to have photos lots of photos. Why? Because when I buy something I want to see it. Someone’s idea of great shape may be my idea of poor shape. This is a link to one of my closed auctions; let me know what you think.

I have both bought and sold quite a few things on ebay and have had mostly good experiences. I am currently having a bad streak - 2 auctions at the same time that look like they're going south. You just have to keep in mind that Ebay is just like any other marketplace in that good people sell so they can make some money and dishonest people are there to pick your pockets.

I have sold things and charged a flat shipping, just to make things easier. It is a pain to charge actual shipping. I try not to short myself, but I try to not gouge the buyer at the same time. I personally like it when shipping is predetermined so I know there are no suprises after the auction closes.

Myself, I'm all for ebay. I have sold some things that I otherwise would have probably just thrown away. I have also purchased things on ebay saving myself much $$$$ LOL