IGNORED

Removing Steering Rack

BayAreaZ650

I’m having a bit trouble removing my steering rack. I’ve already removed the 4 bolts holding it in and the disconnected the tie rod ends. It’s only stuck on the steering column. Are there bolts holding the steering column to the steering rack? What is a good way to remove the tie rod ends from the steering rack?

That column goes up and with 4 bolts through a "puck" shaped bushing connects to the steering wheel arm that comes through the firewall. Remove those. I remember having to loosen up the rack itself and rotate it forward to get the column either off or back on? it's a real snug fit.

Replacing that puck looking bushing is pretty cheap and easy. Makes a huge difference for a steady steering wheel while driving. Zcardepot probably has one? Or Napa maybe, they have weird odds and ends for our cars. Heck Nissan may have them?

Edited by siteunseen
  • Thanks 1

You have to take a bolt out at the rack connection where the bottom splines are of the rod. Remembering more now. LOL

The tie rods have flats on them. Put a Crescent wrench on there and another on the nut. It'll be laying on the ground so use your feet to break them loose.

Rember, driver's side is left handed threads. Passenger's is normal lefty loosey.

Edited by siteunseen
  • Thanks 1

My tie rod ends were massively over-torqued.  Hopefully the same guy that worked on my alignment didn’t work on yours!

Disconnect both ends of the shaft connecting the steering column to the rack, and set that shaft aside.  I see that you already removed the brackets for the steering rack bushings. Once you’ve removed the shaft, just slide the steering rack out sideways towards the driver’s side.

Good luck with your project!

Edited by SoCalJim
  • Thanks 1