wheee!

280Z Front Air Dams

I just realized that the 280Z has a deeper front cowl and more curved lower valance, meaning that stock air dams for the 240Z do not fit!

What I am looking for is a spook type look for the 280Z. Not interested in the urethane wraparound style that replace the lower valances. Any ideas from the armchair experts?

My front end:

2e9b9d15cd07eff82a0a911f42320833.jpg&key=4a5bd2b1601c5603b72052ab0e70490daf454710b0516347febf810598731b89

The issue with the 240Z style:

da74a0b653fe92b92641de4a5bb4c646.jpg&key=8eee64b66e1b296016a10ac6cefcb40d35df4e9a1c26dd9acf28c5000d71d852

f452c520ea032c08cb9af1aa569ca0ae.jpg&key=4655b35e0f8bb9c38fbedf56f355ca7e720d1b27af18cb102a9d19c52e15c649

• Like 1

That’s cool! I’m surprised I hadn’t seen that!

That looks nice, thanks for posting it Persimmon240.  I’m not sure about the need for brake cooling duct openings on the air dam.  Do they add any value with the large grill opening?  From what I can see, it’s already a straight shot from the grill opening to front brake calipers.  

You could think of the openings as dead bug collectors - or, perhaps, you could wield a hole saw and acquire some clothes dryer vent hose and build some real racy brake cooling ducts - fog/driving light receptacles(?) - or put some black wire mesh over them and keep people guessing. There are a whole lot of dam options...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Persimmon240 said:

You could think of the openings as dead bug collectors - or, perhaps, you could wield a hole saw and acquire some clothes dryer vent hose and build some real racy brake cooling ducts - fog/driving light receptacles(?) - or put some black wire mesh over them and keep people guessing. There are a whole lot of dam options...

Dam it!  So many choices!

• Haha 1

I believe what wheee! is subtly attempting to point out is that those cavities are actually partially open and direct the air in the general direction of the brakes - no mods required - everybody happy... 😀!!!

• Like 1

My main concern is that without the air dam, I will have a very light front end with the spoiler on the rear.

The front ends of S30's do get light at "highway" speeds. Front spoilers are functional - which is why the Euro models came with one from the factory.

If I install a front air dam, is the rear spoiler needed for non-track use?

I would say not - the rear spoiler doesn't provide enough down force at subsonic speeds - but it looks cool and balances the car (visually at least).

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, wheee! said:

My main concern is that without the air dam, I will have a very light front end with the spoiler on the rear.

My urethane Xenon made a huge difference on my '77. My high speed worries were the wiper blades lifted at about 110 on the speedometer. That's where I lift. 😎

20160702_093134.jpg

I am hesitant to use urethane on the front air dam due to the flex at high speed. I have seen too many videos of cars on the Hwy with their air dam folded over and the driver oblivious because it looks normal when parked.
    Plus I like the classic Jag profile of the rounded catfish front end. The BRE cuts a clean profile of the front.

• Like 1

I think I saw a fix for the hwy speed folding issue but not sure where I saw that at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I saw a fix for the hwy speed folding issue but not sure where I saw that at.

I know it can be fixed with reinforcing rods etc, I just don’t think you should have to do that. I prefer the fibreglas versions.

2 hours ago, ryanotown22 said:

Probably something like mine, works okay now but you really shouldn't have to repair it before you install it, I wish now I had kept my type 1 fiberglass air dam.

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0429.JPG

• Like 1

I went for the Type 1 fibreglass for the 240Z since fitting the 240 valence is not possible with the lower 280Z frame. Looks neat with the modified 240Z grill.

DSC_0435.JPG

1IMG_0110 (37).JPG

IMG_1608.JPG

Edited by EuroDat
    • Like 4