IGNORED

Looking fro help with fuel issue

GregP

@GregP

Clarifying my point here because it's bothering me. LOL

The fuel valves above the floats can and do get sticky/stuck after sitting. I've bought new ones, to me, that were. My thinking was if those valves aren't opening your fuel has hit a dead end. By filling those bowls the floats should raise and move the needles in close them off. BUT poking the floats with the straw should get them to bounce like a fishing bobber and move those needles. The floats are so close to the wall the straws movement will be minimal, maybe up and down a quarter inch?

Best of luck and please share the problem when you get it whipped. 

Cliff

It's Running! After reading the last posts I disconnected the line to the fuel filter and blew some compressed air in to it going back to the gas tank. Heard the bubbling in the gas tank.

Next I filled both float chambers (I had to order a squeeze bottle that holds fuel and the tube went over the nipple perfectly. The bottle is used for filling RC cars). While I was at it, I filled the fuel filter since I had the line disconnected, figured it wouldn't hurt to help with the priming. I used my wd-40 plastic tube and pushed the floats. They bobbed up and down with no problems. Reconnected the fuel lines hoses and the car started up perfect and runs perfect!!! So I don't know if the floats were stuck and were freed up when adding the gas thru the nipple or if there was just an air pocket in the lines. 

Thanks everyone for the help and Cliff, great photo and descriptions. You made it real simple for me to follow.

Edited by GregP
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I just had a similar issue. I had replaced the mechanical fuel pump a few weeks ago. This past  weekend the car died while idling in the driveway. I had just been out for a drive and had let the tank get fairly low. I did put in about 20L 5 minutes before pulling in. I checked fuel at the carb and there was nothing. I immediately assumed the new pump had crapped out so I re-installed the old one. The old one was working fine but I had been chasing a ticking noise at the time and had replaced it to no avail (another story that I think is a small exhaust leak). After waiting a day for the gasket to seal up I still had no start and no fuel at the carbs. 

I noticed I was getting no fuel in the filter. I remembered a problem I had experienced with one of my other zcars where crud from the tank got caught in the fuel lines when when the fuel got low.  I blew some compressed air back through the tank and could hear the air bubbling in the tank. Tried to start again but nothing.

I came inside and did a search here. After reading this thread I tried priming the carbs, pump and filter. Started right up and ran beautifully.

Thanks!

• Like 2