IGNORED

Yet another tire size question

MikeW

14 years ago when I put 195/70-14's on my 14x7 slotted mags the rear tires rubbed the fenders whenever hitting a big bump or dip in the road. At the time I attributed this to sagging springs. I now have Tokico lowering springs and they still seem to rub (the car appears to ride at about the same height as before) although I haven't driven the car much seeing as how I need new tires. What size should I consider? Should I revert to 185/70 or even 185/60?

With lowering springs and a tall sidewall such as a 70 series it's quite possible to have a rub.

Might be better off to go to a 60 or even a 55 or 50 series tire.

I've run 225/60's on 7 inch zero offset wheels with no rub with stock and also lowering springs on the street and adjustable coil-overs on the track(much lower than street specs).

Thanks. I went with some H-Rated 195/60-14 Sumitomo tires. So far there isn't any rubbing, even on a big speed bump. As far as the speedometer error introduced by a slightly smaller diameter goes it looks like a visit to the local radar speed limit sign in front of the elementary school is in order.:devious:

Rather than starting another thread I thought I'd hijack this one. Hope you don't mind.

I need to know what the original tyre width the 1973 240Z's came out with on the back for engineering purposes. I think I might be in trouble on this one. :disappoin

The short of it is, to be legal the tyre width has to be a maximum of two inches wider than what the car came out with originally. Sooo... I'm looking for something that says the '73 240z came out with 205's as an option. I don't like my chances.

Originally posted by That Ozzy Guy

The short of it is, to be legal the tyre width has to be a maximum of two inches wider than what the car came out with originally.

185 millimeters is 7.17 inches. Two inches more than that, 9.17, is 232.92 millimeters.

Originally posted by tttz

check out this link:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

-Ty

Thanks for the link. If the orginal tires were 175/70-14 then my new 195/60-14's are off by 1.8% too fast. An indicated 60mph is really 58.9mph. Heck, I don't think I can hold the speedometer steady enough (without cruise control) for that to even matter.