IGNORED

Tension rod mounts worn out - please help!

When I bought my ZX it came with a uninstalled poly kit. At some point I decided to put the tension rod bushings in and then snapped one of them a little after.

The rod could have been failing or maybe I over tighten them. Not sure, but not a fun thing to have break on you. Makes braking very interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had one break with the hard PU on the back and realized that the bushing on the back restricts the motion of the tip of the rod as the rod itself moves up and down with the control arm.  This puts a big load on the stress riser at the bottom of the threads and causes the metal to fatigue and break.

The rubber bushing is actually formed so that it allows a wide range of motion, up and down and sideways, of the rod but still controls fore and aft motion.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I know this post has been sleeping for a while, but I fabricated some of these bushing seats/ mounts for my own restorations.  I made extra.  If anyone is ever in need, shoot me a message.

tc seat 1.jpg

tc seat 6.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...