IGNORED

Fuel tank is out, Any opportunities to do something else?

I did the POR 15 route on my tank and painted it.  Before re-installing it, I bought a new sending unit and had all the fuel hoses replaced using the kit below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-240z-braided-fuel-hoses-complete-kit-with-clamps-for-entire-fuel-system/303199535108?hash=item469819c004:g:rioAAOSwkx5XEF-n

The kit came with bent hoses to avoid having to improvise.

25 minutes ago, DatsunZGuy said:

I did the POR 15 route on my tank and painted it.  Before re-installing it, I bought a new sending unit and had all the fuel hoses replaced using the kit below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-240z-braided-fuel-hoses-complete-kit-with-clamps-for-entire-fuel-system/303199535108?hash=item469819c004:g:rioAAOSwkx5XEF-n

The kit came with bent hoses to avoid having to improvise.

Jesus those are expensive.  I'd have a hard time forking over that kind of $$ for evap lines.  I mean the cost to fix a leak, boil, blast, reseal, and paint for the gas tank is around $300. 

50 minutes ago, research monkey said:

Jesus those are expensive.  I'd have a hard time forking over that kind of $$ for evap lines.  I mean the cost to fix a leak, boil, blast, reseal, and paint for the gas tank is around $300. 

It's all relative, I guess ?

I'd hate to tell you what I paid for a complete braided hose kit for the engine bay at JDM Car Parts online. ?

1 minute ago, DatsunZGuy said:

It's all relative, I guess ?

I'd hate to tell you what I paid for a complete braided hose kit for the engine bay at JDM Car Parts online. ?

Oh, i'm sure.   If my car was a good enough example for a full resto i'd fork over the cash.   I'd have a hard time driving it at that point though haha.  I see you're in socal.  Have you seen the series 2 dash on Craigslist?  the guy is asking 2750 LOL

I replaced the tank straps with stainless steel, but I had access to a free source of material and a community metal shop to cut them and make the end fittings so I was able to do it on the cheap. I also replaced several of the hoses because I found them to be hard. Braided fuel grade hoses are available by the foot because some German cars appear to use them. Make sure all your replacement hoses are fuel safe.

I bought all my evap hoses at O'Reilly auto parts. Low pressure fuel line. They keep 5/8" on hand. All the hoses and clamps were about $50 if I remember right. Have fun! Oh yeah, I have the the slip through grommets p/ns for those too in a file I can get for you if decide to do it. Nissan has them in stock, or they did in 2015.

9 hours ago, Jeff Berk said:

I replaced the tank straps with stainless steel, but I had access to a free source of material and a community metal shop to cut them and make the end fittings so I was able to do it on the cheap. I also replaced several of the hoses because I found them to be hard. Braided fuel grade hoses are available by the foot because some German cars appear to use them. Make sure all your replacement hoses are fuel safe.

So I was actually going to look into this.  I might have the ones I pulled blasted and painted and find some rubber or something to go in between the tank. 

5 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I bought all my evap hoses at O'Reilly auto parts. Low pressure fuel line. They keep 5/8" on hand. All the hoses and clamps were about $50 if I remember right. Have fun! Oh yeah, I have the the slip through grommets p/ns for those too in a file I can get for you if decide to do it. Nissan has them in stock, or they did in 2015.

This is the direction i'm probably going.  I believe the thread I posted earlier had all the NAPA part #'s for all the required hoses and the lengths. 

16 hours ago, DatsunZGuy said:

I'm so glad this website is still up ?

http://woodworkerb.com/home/datsun-240z-rebuild/general-tips-tricks/

There is good deal of restoration tips to include the fuel tank and hoses.  It even has a section on replacing your broken or worn choke cables with piano wire.

Thanks for that.  Looks like that guy is local as he referenced Saddleback Cars. He pulled the rubber off the tank straps and had them blasted and painted.  I think i'm going to do the same. 

16 hours ago, DatsunZGuy said:

I'm so glad this website is still up ?

http://woodworkerb.com/home/datsun-240z-rebuild/general-tips-tricks/

There is good deal of restoration tips to include the fuel tank and hoses.  It even has a section on replacing your broken or worn choke cables with piano wire.

I've not seen that yet!  Good stuff that all sounds familiar.  Can't wait to read more.

Is he a member here?