LucarelliZ

Advice for buying

Found this one recently in the same town as me. Supposed to see it soon. Thoughts? IMG_1691.jpgIMG_1690.jpgIMG_1692.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like an early 240 with a late 280z hood. Be sure and post up the VIN when you look at it. Check for the data plates and the vin on the dash and the firewall. Check the usual rust areas for signs of patches or filler. Looks to be freshly painted

I agree with Charles on it being a '70 or '71 with a later hood.  Fender & roof side emblems missing, front and rear window trim missing, marker lights and bumpers off, new paint could be covering a lot of history.  Check body panels with a magnet for Bondo.

Dennis 

4 hours ago, LucarelliZ said:

Found this one recently in the same town as me. Supposed to see it soon. Thoughts? IMG_1691.jpgIMG_1690.jpgIMG_1692.jpg

A lot of missing parts.  Those little parts are hard to find, even if some are in a bag that comes with the car you might end up missing some.

I agree with Charles on it being a '70 or '71 with a later hood.  Fender & roof side emblems missing, front and rear window trim missing, marker lights and bumpers off, new paint could be covering a lot of history.  Check body panels with a magnet for Bondo.
Dennis 

1971 240. Supposedly a rust-free California car. I will see when I check it out. Guy is asking 13.4k, definitely will try to talk him down given the missing parts etc. does it look like it’s been repainted to anyone?

A lot of missing parts.  Those little parts are hard to find, even if some are in a bag that comes with the car you might end up missing some.

I’m not super worried about parts, as I have 3 parts cars.

Are they 240's or 280's?  Not the same.  Match your parts cars if you're going to use them.  You were looking at a 240 a 260 and 280 in your first post.  Your parts cars can't match all three.,

Depending on what year your 240 parts car is there could be lots of differences in parts

Yes, I believe I stated earlier, it looks to have been painted

Depending on what year your 240 parts car is there could be lots of differences in parts
Yes, I believe I stated earlier, it looks to have been painted

Mine is a 72

I spent a lot of time trying to find little things like the chrome piece around the door handle ends, and the little cup at the door latch on the bottom of the door.  There are many parts out there but most don't fit right anymore.

If the guy has all of the parts saved in boxes you might be fine.  People often take their cars apart though, because they look like they're falling apart already.  A vicious cycle...

Just realized that I never knew how to spell vicious.  Thank you spell-check redline.

• Like 1

The 240 he say does not run... I asked what was wrong and he said it just needed to be jumped. Seems fishy. On another note, the blue 280 is still available and he said he would take 8k.

No, don't fall for that.  If it just needs jumping off, jump it off.

I got a guy way down on mine.  He kept saying it was something simple so I left him my number and said call when you get it running.  I never even got inside my car to leave when he said "hey wait a minute". :victorious:

$8,000 sounds about right if it's decent and runs out good.  Take a lot of pictures when you see it and post them up here.  You should get a very detailed assessment from the gang.

Edited by siteunseen

11 hours ago, LucarelliZ said:

Supposedly a rust-free car.

Yeah, they all are. Good luck with that.

Yes it's been repainted. With little regard to overspray.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 5:47 AM, LucarelliZ said:

The 240 he say does not run... I asked what was wrong and he said it just needed to be jumped. Seems fishy. On another note, the blue 280 is still available and he said he would take 8k.

Theres a 240 on BAT atm I dont think is going to go too high in pretty good shape, you should keep an eye on that site and maybe bid on a few. 240s aren't doing too good atm for some reason on that site might be worth checking out atm. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-datsun-240z-104/