IGNORED

Yoes Cam Oiler Experience?

jpc3006

The cam oiler on my 240 is showing signs of failure with the rear most section tilting in towards the cam and I'm trying to decide whether to repair it, replace it with another stock oiler or buying the Yoes cam oiler. I've read that some of the billet stye oilers made by other suppliers interfered with the cam cover internal baffles and was wondering if the Yoes oiler fits without any modification required. Also, your experience positive or negative would be appreciated.

thanks,

John

Not sure what I should do.  I pulled the oiler off and checked it on my workbench. It is solid with no loose joints, the only problem seems to be that the rearmost short section tilts in towards the cam. The tube seems to be coming straight out of the aluminum casting but the casting is not as "square" as the one on the front of the oiler. 

I inspected the clearance of the oiler to the #6 exhaust valve cam lobe and it's only about 1/8 inch. For comparison the clearance between the oiler and the #1 exhaust valve cam lobe is close to 1/4 inch. I reinstalled the oiler and cranked the engine with the ignition disabled and once I got oil pressure everything seems to be OK. Then I started and ran the engine (with the cam cover on) and the engine sounds normal. At this point in time I'm not sure whether it's always been this way or only since I rebuilt the engine last year.

After putting in new lash pads/rockers and springs I decided to replace my marginal oiling bar.  Lash pads/rockers 5 & 6 had excessive wear due to poor oiling.

I went with the straight oiling bar for racing which I purchased from Larry Hassler who is on this site (larryracer240z@gmail.com or (626) 485-5767)

See pics.....   this bar actually adds rigidity to the cam towers, it's aluminum so it expands/contracts with the engine head nicely.  Note that 3 webs on the valve cover must be cut back to allow the bar to clear it.  See pic #2.  

I am pleased with it....

Aluminum Billet Oiler Bar (1).jpg

New Oiler Install - Notched Cover (2).jpg

New Oiler Installed.jpg

Edited by moritz55

• 1 month later...

Just an update on my original post.  I got a cam oiler from Mike Yoes and installed it this morning. It's very well built and fit my L24 perfectly. Verified that all the holes were squirting oil onto the rockers by cranking the engine with the ignition disabled and cam cover off then took it out for a short drive.  Everything's fine.

John

• Like 3