IGNORED

Trouble shooting

grannyknot

warm oil that looks normal for idle. If  you want to know for sure just get a reg oil pressure gauge. Do some research on the thread type, its not normally found on the gauge you are likely to find.

Cold oil at idle should be in about the middle of the gauge.

do you know what T stat you have installed? You can also just use a meat thermometer in the neck of the rad, cap off, let it warm up and see what it says.

Edited by Dave WM

So the engine has been running well, I've been starting it every now and then to check for exhaust leaks, coolant leaks and such. Today I got the D/S seat installed  and started the engine to take it for the first drive, the engine started fine, ran for about 30 sec with the rpms roaming and then the rpms got lower and lower, I blipped the throttle and it momentarily reved up but went back down until it died. It started up again just fine but did the same routine and died within 10 sec, now it won't catch at all.

Spark is good, fuel pump is on when I push the AFM door a bit,  sound like anything specific?  I haven't put the EFI bible away yet, guess I'll start at the beginging and YES the ECU is plugged in    this time.

So put the fuel pressure gauge back on between the filter and regulator and all is good, 35psi, pulled the plugs and they were still wet from yesterday, blew lots of gasoline vapour out of the cylinders, the plugs looked pretty good so cleaned them and re installed.  Turned the key and the engine started right up and settled down to an 800 rpm idle just like where I set it a couple of weeks ago. All is good with the world.

I guess I blipped the throttle too many times and flooded it yesterday, not sure why the rpms went so low but it is not doing it now.  The spark plugs only have an 1.5 - 2hrs on them and there is a dark streak on one side of the insulator, can't say I've seen this before.

IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

Well you know that if you don't find the root cause, it will absolutely happen again. Intermittent problems suck.

Did you replace all the electrical connectors in the engine compartment? If the connector to the EFI temperature sensor isn't making great connection, it'll run very rich.