IGNORED

78 280z radio wiring

AZDatsun

Just some notes from my install this weekend. I purchased a JVC kd-x255bt I purchased it from amazon but they are sold many places. Because it does not have a CD player it’s almost half the length of a regular head unit it seems

http:// https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jvc-in-dash-digital-media-receiver-built-in-bluetooth-with-detachable-faceplate-black/6191304.p?skuId=6191304

It does not have a CD player only digital media and AM/FM. It also charges my iPhone at 1.5amps. It has Bluetooth and I can stream pandora/iHeartRadio right from my phone wirelessly. Anyway here are my wiring notes

From Car blue white wire attached to cigarette lighter to the stereo yellow:constant power always 12v for radio memory

From Car blue wire on oem radio harness to stereo red wire is the ignition switched power 12v when key turned allows unit to turn on

From Car green/white wire on oem radio harness to stereo orange/white wire for radio illumination when headlights are turned on

New stereo black wire to ground point

Install was pretty straight forward, since I have a new center console I had to trim some plastic out in order to slide the radio in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My condolences! 

I havea JVC in my truck and I had a single DIN unit in a car. Neither one can keep time. The clock randomly changes. Won't ever have another JVC. It is evidently a common problem. The other stereo functions work fine.

I hope you dont have this issue.

Thanks ryanotown22 for the radio wiring info.  I just added a wire from my cigarette lighter power to where the radio wiring is located, so I’m set for putting in a stereo after my dash goes back into the Z.  I have a new console, and currently no radio.  I’m trying to decide whether to buy a RetroSound unit or cut up my new console to permit me to install a single-DIN unit.  I want the modern features, but I do like the stereo to look like it belongs in the Z.  Things like illumination color matching the instrument lighting.  And understated styling.  

Sorry about meandering off topic!