IGNORED

Should I go EFI on my 240z?

It all depends on what you are planning on doing to the engine in the way of performance mods...

Basically stock, with no internal changes, I'd go with the SU's or the stock FI from a 280.

Changing compression ratio, cam and a few other mods like a good ignition system, I'd go with the Mikuni's.

FWIW, yes, the stock Bosch L-Jetronic is reliable and would really be smooth and all, but if you plan on any performance mods it is restricted in its modifications you can do. Bigger throttle body and a couple other small mods and that's about it. It's not like the programmable injection systems that are now available, which will cost you at least what you have already invested in the Mikuni's or more than likely even more. With an aftermarket programmable system, you could do most anything you wanted with the engine up to the limit of your wallet.

Since you already have the Mikuni's, I think I'd just swap in a little hotter cam and have the head rebuilt, put in a hotter ignition and have at it, it might take a little time to adjust the carbs correctly, but once set, they'll be fine.

Originally posted by Trex

The labour rates in US and Australia are definitely 5 times that at least as compared to Malaysia but then again our import duties at 150% is much higher than US and Australia.

Ah, ok. I see your point there. I didn't realize that rates were that much higher where you are! A friend of mine purchased a V-spec in Australia for around $50k. That would have been approximately $25-$30k US. If you were to do the whole project right (see Cuong's), I'm sure it would cost that much.

But, that's a whole different beast. Picking a system from the three I have available is another story.

Originally posted by ZmeFly

carbs are nice, stock, easy to tune, and run nicely.

I'm not sure about nicely, but, they do run. :) I guess it depends on their condition. I'm sure a rebuilt set will run great.

what would i do. mikunis, 3000+ for a new set!!!

you could get a stand alone fuel management system and a turbo motor for that price easily.

I already have the Mikuni's.

event at used prices of what 500+, it just doesnt seem worth it for the minimal gains that you would get in comparison to FI.

My main goal isn't power... it's simply reliability. I want to run out, start the car, and go for a fun (smooth) ride.

Originally posted by Alfadog

As for going EFI on a stock L24, well, personally I wouldn't, but if it was going to be a high-po L24 then yes, why not (well I would probably get triple somethingorothers just to keep it "period"

Oops, I should have mentioned that I'm going to use the L28 from the 280z as well. But, I don't want the most horsepower... just a good reliable system.

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

It all depends on what you are planning on doing to the engine in the way of performance mods...

Basically stock, with no internal changes, I'd go with the SU's or the stock FI from a 280.

That's what I was thinking. But, to go FI, I'll need to use a different gas-tank, electrical harness, and fuel piping. That, alone, might make me stick with a stock system or Mikuni's. I want to finish this project someday!! No sense in starting another whole project.

Changing compression ratio, cam and a few other mods like a good ignition system, I'd go with the Mikuni's.

Since you already have the Mikuni's, I think I'd just swap in a little hotter cam and have the head rebuilt, put in a hotter ignition and have at it, it might take a little time to adjust the carbs correctly, but once set, they'll be fine.

Hmmm... ok, thanks. You have me thinking now. And, I probably don't need to change out my fuel tank and piping!!