IGNORED

Should I go EFI on my 240z?

Just wondering how practical it would be to go EFI on my 240z. I currently have all the parts to go with any of these:

A) Stock Dual SU's

B) Triple Mikuni's

C) Electronic Fuel Injection

I was strongly leaning toward B, but, I managed to get my other 280z running. The EFI is soo smooth and seems to be reliable. It might be worth the conversion just for the reliability.

I've seen people run the triples. However, they are always in need of adjustment. But, they just look soo damn cool!

Anyway, what do you think?

Smooth and relaible ... I suppose most of us get this from the car we choose to go to work in daily ...Camry's, Hondas and the likes.

If you have a 240Z, the only step forward from the standard setup would be to the triples. Just tinkering and polishing the air horns would give you more enjoyment then checking the oil level in your Camry.

If you want a EFI, then you might as well do it properly and get a Skyline engine, EFI plus turbo. But would you be doing any justice to the 20 plus year old chassis ... I suppose most people who go down this route couldnt afford a proper Skyline GTR and the next best thing they could afford is the engine but in time they would still aspire to owning a Skyline GTR.

I am running triple Webers ... if they are setup correctly from the start they are fantastic ... all the stories of it going out of tune has given the carbs a bad reputation. It is just that there are only a handfull of tuners who really understand how they work. If you learn about them you will know that they are infinitely tunable.

Triples - for the 240Z there is no other substitute ...

Now I've had and played with fuel injection I wouldn't consider carbies anymore.

It's true that a smooth idle and whatnot are things that people tend to like in "appliance" cars, but if you can have something that performs and still idles, why not?

I wouldn't use a factory computer though, as it can be hard to find and fix problems, and you can't play with it. Both my cars use Haltech computers, and I'm very happy with them. It's great to be able to plug a laptop in and know exactly what's happening.

In my opinion, You can't go past a factory injection manifold and a Haltech computer for a nice value for money setup.

But if you want the sound of Mikunis / Webers / Dellortoes, fit triple throttle bodies:

http://www.jenvey.co.uk/

EFI or not ? This kind of questions will always split the members in the club. Some dont mind tweaking their 240Z's with the latest electronic gizmos on ignition timing and fuelling. There is no doubt that EFI by virtue of its technology will always be better than carbs.

However,there are those who will by virtue of having a "Classic" Z car keep it to the correct period and performance upgrades will move towards cams and increase fuelling though carbs ( ie. triples ).

So back to the question, should I go EFI on the 240z, yes if you want to have a more efficient, reliable and smoother engine. Infact why do you even need to stick with the L series engine with its OHC design.

The answer is No, if you want to maintain the "Classic" nature of the car. Any modification would have to be of that period.

Would the AC Cobra be a classic if it had a Lexus V8 inside ?

Trex, those are some pretty insane comparisons. I'd tend to think that putting a Skyline engine into a 240z might be more expensive than just purchasing a Skyline. :D A hell of a lot more work, too.

This is just the induction system. I already have three choices at my disposal. The least amount of work is staying with my SU's. But, the triple Miku's seems to be the most popular.

I like the idea of playing with an EFI system since I'm a huge geek. :)

Originally posted by Trex

I suppose most people who go down this route couldnt afford a proper Skyline GTR and the next best thing they could afford is the engine but in time they would still aspire to owning a Skyline GTR.

:tapemouth :tapemouth :tapemouth

I think you should have a talk to Cuong............... an RB26DETT into a Z is NOT a cheap project, like Mike mentioned.

As for going EFI on a stock L24, well, personally I wouldn't, but if it was going to be a high-po L24 then yes, why not (well I would probably get triple somethingorothers just to keep it "period"... :stupid:

The labour rates in US and Australia are definitely 5 times that at least as compared to Malaysia but then again our import duties at 150% is much higher than US and Australia.

A R34 V-spec GTR retails here for RM280K which is USD74K approx. But a half clip of a R33 GTR is about USD6.5k plus USD2K labour to fit and mess about and tune.

Come on, be sensible about it though.

Compare similar things - how about a 2nd hand R33 compared to an R33 half cut.

And then, you'll need not only labour and tuning, but chassis strengthening, brakes, fatter wheels, and a plethora of other stuff if you really want this car to be driveable (ask cuong if you want details). Not to mention the cost of buying a Z in the first place..... Can you imagine stock brakes with an R33 GTR engine?!?!

I challenge you to find a RB26DETT engine conversion into a Zed that has cost less than the car (be it R32, R33 or whatever) it came out of.

carbs are nice, stock, easy to tune, and run nicely.

injection in a 240 isnt what it came with, is much easier on the pocket, better mileage, starting, realiability, more power.

what would i do. mikunis, 3000+ for a new set!!!

you could get a stand alone fuel management system and a turbo motor for that price easily.

event at used prices of what 500+, it just doesnt seem worth it for the minimal gains that you would get in comparison to FI.

well there is always this to remeber also, you WILL NEVER get as much power out of a carbed system as you would an FI system.

plain and simple

Alfadog

Would love the challenge but sadly there are more GTR Skylines in Malaysia than 240Z's let alone a 240z with a RB26DETT plus Brembo brakes and LSD's. Just to few 240Z's left around to cut up and have a go.

A friend of mine in the half cut business will be glad to know that there are people out there in Oz ready to spend a lot more money on a RB26DETT conversion, say in a Z, than buying a Skyline GTR.

His business has been slow lately so this kind of news might cheer him up and bring a smile to his face.

I'd imagine a half-cut business would be very hard to keep out of the red... especially in a place like Malaysia where most people get a new car if their old one feels a bit sick (this is assumed, I have never been to Malaysia! Is it true?)... and I can't imagine many people there would be into swapping engines around, compared with Australia.

The number of FJ20 and SR20 engines you see in 510's and the like... you could make a monthly magazine about it! (ooops they already have several!!!!!)