IGNORED

Tail Light Lens to Housing sealant help

240znz

What is the recommended sealant used to secure the rear tail light lens to the bulb assembly housing?

There are two slots in the rear plastic lens on the lower part which at my best guess is to let water out if it does get in? Can anyone confirm if this is what these are for and if that isn't the case, what are they for.

Thanks in advance.

James

2 hours ago, 240znz said:

There are two slots in the rear plastic lens on the lower part which at my best guess is to let water out if it does get in? Can anyone confirm if this is what these are for and if that isn't the case, what are they for.

That is exactly what they are for and originally there was a small rectangle of felt covering that slot on the inside to keep water from pushing in through those slots but allowing it to drain out if it did get in, most of those felt pieces are long gone so if you have access to the inside now is the time to replace them.

Just one suggestion to the OP's question. Instead of using silicone to seal the lens to the taillight, I would suggest butyl strip caulking. The stuff is black and is non-hardening and waterproof. It used to be called dum-dum (no, I am not making this up). 3M, Eastwood and a bunch of other companies make it. Comes in 3/16" diameter ropes that you set into the grove where the lens sits in the housing. My local auto parts store sells it by the one foot strip (2 required per taillight) for $.30 each. Just cut it where necessary for the drain holes in the bottom of the housing/lens. This will allow you to remove the lens at some point(s) in the future - if necessary - without damaging it. One warning; it does stick to everything - kind of like anti-seize!

Yep, dum dum is also used to fix the plastic sheet between the door card and the door. From memory, it is a water barrier or something like that. That stuff is very tacky and is the reason my drivers window shattered when cleaning it off, don't ask, amateur mistake, lucky the parts car glass will be used.

I remember some white felt plugs that I pulled out years ago. Previous owner had used silicon to stick them in place, took an age with a careful blade to extract the lenses. Scratched them a bit but not that you will ever see.

Thanks for the prompt replies guys. It's been a while since I posted on here and wondered if it still the place to go for info, sure is, cheers.

James