IGNORED

SU carb swap confustion

Swapping some "rebuilt" SU's from a 72 240z into a 71 240z (which has a 72 engine), so I can drive the 71 while rebuilding its carbs on the bench.  Pulled off both SU carb pairs.  The carbs appear to be all the same, only the intake manifolds and insulators are different.  The 72 manifold/insulator combos have two extra holes on the lower edge. The 71 manifold/insulator combos don't have those holes, so the elongated opening in the carb base would seem to be open to the atmosphere.  Wondering what the deal is, would rather not have to swap the manifolds as well.  Bonus: check out the crap in the last images, both in a carb and in an insulator.  Any reason I can't proceed with the carb swap?  Thanks for reading.

IMG_4768.jpg

IMG_4769.jpg

IMG_4770.jpg

IMG_4773.jpg

IMG_4774.jpg

IMG_4775.jpg

The holes at the bottom of the 72 carbs are for hot coolant to be pumped through the carbs to warm up the nozzles.

You can put 72 carbs on earlier manifolds without having to do anything else special to accommodate those holes. Just slap 'em on. Plug the holes on the carbs if you don't want wasps to build nests in there, but other than that, nothing.

Putting earlier carbs on the 72 manifolds are a little more involved, but I don't think that's what you're asking, right? And in the pic with the 72 manifolds, I can see that the heating water lines aren't hooked up either, so it wouldn't really matter.

Yes, I'm rambling. Did I answer your question?   LOL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Glad to help. Thanks to you, I'm much obliged for such a pleasant stay. But now it's time for me to go.

Just like the ending of every episode of The Lone Ranger. ?

Dennis

Zactly. And now, I keep rolling right into Moby Dikk in my own head!

I drove around listening to that album so much that I think it was 50% slower than new due to the inevitable 8-track tape stretch.     :love:

Edited by Captain Obvious
I'm an innocent victim of overenthusiastic spel chek