IGNORED

HLS30-00512 up for Auction on BaT

Per the commentary on BaT, I certainly see how the rear valence panel is distorted (and the bumper isn't aligned and the hatch sits a little high on one side).  However, I'm having trouble finding the distortion that's said to have occurred in the rear deck .

It is too bad that it's not a matching-numbers engine.  Matters a lot to the high-end collectors.  Shifter location in the console opening suggests that at least it's got the correct 'A' 4-speed (original?)

Overall, there's a lot to like about this car.  Even the floors look not too bad.  The dash will need attention, but the collectors didn't seem too bothered about the dash cap and the dash recover on a couple of recent high-$ Z auction cars.  Hard to say these days whether an uncracked dash really commands a premium in an otherwise-desirable Z.

• Like 1

Yesterday I placed my final bid of $17K for this car. Even though I have always wanted a 1969 production year 240Z, I just can't justify spending any more than that. When you consider that it no longer has its original numbers-matching engine and it also no longer has its original hood, rear hatch clear glass and some other items. If the car weren't missing all of these items, I would definitely go higher since it looks to be such a solid car. Also if you consider the restoration costs on top of all this, it just doesn't make sense for me at this time, especially since I already have two '71 240Z projects waiting in the wings.  

Edited by lonetreesteve
  • Like 1

At this point I view sub 500s as $100k cars. So 22k for a not disaster project seems pretty reasonable. You do bring up a good point about some of the missing pieces that could be hard to replace. I always wanted a low number car but I have pretty much gotten over that because I want driver cars. The sub 500 cars are quickly becoming too rare to be practical to put miles on.

• Like 3