IGNORED

paint both sides of a part at the same time

qz16

Truth be told I am painting my second complete car.  So I am just a novice.  The first was an mgb.  This one is a 73 240z.  When I painted the “B” I removed the doors, hood and trunk lid.  The first problem was how to paint both sides of something using a 2 stage paint system.  I purchased a few paint stands (scissor type) and they are a necessity if you are going to do any paint or body work.  After struggling with the stands and painting one side at a time I finally broke down and bought a simple rolling rack.  Mine isn’t very expensive (about $90).  It is terrific for painting small light parts both sides at once.  I never figured out a good way to suspend heavy awkward items like doors.  I tried the obvious stuff: hooks through holes … ect. but a door doesn’t hang well unless it is suspended from the right spots and at the right height for painting.  It is also preferable to have the part hanging in the same way that it will be mounted on the car.  I looked online for tips on how best to hang parts for painting both sides but never found anything particularly insightful.

So, in an attempt to help some novice painter out there.  All doors have hinges.  Hinges on most cars bolt onto the door via a threaded hole.  There are usually holes on the opposite side.  If the threaded holes are not large enough to hold the weight of the door any hole without threads will do.  My first attempt was to use the hinge bolt (8 x 1.25).  Simple right.  Put the bolt through a few links of chain and screw it into the hinge hole.  Use another bolt through a large hole on the other side.  Make sure you use large washers to distribute the load on the entire surface of the hole.  Pass the bolt from the inside of the door through the hole and a few links of chain and a nut.  This works but the chain will inevitably hit the top of the door skin and also be in the way as you paint the inside border that shows after you install the door card.  So here what worked well for me.  You need longer bolts.  So that the chains hang unobstructed vertically, and far enough away from the door to allow you to get paint where you need it.  I wanted a single bolt for a bunch of different parts.  I needed bolts that were approximately 6 in. long.  Could not find anything that long that was threaded all the way.  I did find 8 mm threaded rod.  It was 36 inches.  Cut two (2) six (6) inch pieces.  Used a thread file to clean up the ends.  For the bolt through the unthreaded hole I put a nut followed by a large washer.  Passed the combination through the inside of the door through the hole.  Next was another washer and a nut to hold the assembly tight against the door.  Next I placed a nut and then a washer the about 6 in. of chain followed by a washer and a final nut.  If you are nervous about nuts coming loose on threaded rods you can double nut the ends.

On the opposite side (the hinge side) I threaded the rod into the threaded hinge hole.  I threaded enough of the rod to have about an inch showing on the inside of the door – this insures that you are using all of the threads to hold the door.  Next I threaded a nut down the rod about 1.5 inches, followed by a washer, the chain, another washer and then a final nut.  The door can then be hung with the chains vertical and away from the skin.

20190505_114823.jpg

20190505_114807.jpg

door support 1.jpg

door support 2.jpg

I know this was not brain surgery, but it solved an issue for me, and I hope as a minimum it saves you some time.

• Like 1

Well,  I primed the door both sides at the same time but it was hung in a weird position with wire.  I don't think anything other than coverage is important with regard to primer.  I hand block everything before applying color.  So, there is primer under the washer.  My plan was to spot repair that area when i take it off the rack.  I may even wait until after the door is hung.  I have not found a way to avoid some nicks and scratches during the assembly stage so touch up is just a part of the process.  Aesthetically the washers and the latch will probably hide this defect effectively.  But thanks I forgot to mention that issue and the novice painter might not realize that the area would need touch up at some point.  Good catch.

• Like 1