IGNORED

Restored '70 240Z on BaT

lonetreesteve

21 minutes ago, NVZEE said:

High bidder is the same one who led on the ‘72 that just ended, until the controversy caused a restart. He wants a Z.

I agree with you, he  seriously wants a 240Z.  It will be interesting to see if anyone exceeds his $60k bid and if so, how much the final amount will be when the auction expires.  

I'm thinking "Three Pedal" has a buyer lined up for a sizable amount, overseas perhaps. He is just in the roll of a broker. JMO. 

457,000 miles though that is some serious cross country trips. How fun would that have been to travel all over the place in a Z back in the 70's - 80's.

The green paint around the spare wheel well looks pretty shabby for a resto. You would think the restorer would have done better there. 

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

Anyone know where the car is physically located and if the seller will allow an inspection?  (Sorry I’m on my phone traveling and can’t dig into it right now)

Looks like it is up in Oakland, California being sold by a dealer.  That makes me think it would be available for inspection.

56 minutes ago, Terrapin Z said:

The green paint around the spare wheel well looks pretty shabby for a resto. You would think the restorer would have done better there. 

Yes, the paint does not seem to be the best quality.  There are a number of photos that show a lot of orange peel texture.  The shot under the hood with the decal looks pretty orange peeled as well, among others.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, motorman7 said:

Looks like it is up in Oakland, California being sold by a dealer.  That makes me think it would be available for inspection.

I’m wondering there’s someone from the club (in the area) who can go help out the buyer. I’m sure he’s a bit curious pushing out that kind of money.  Then again, he may already be on top if it. No harm in offering though. 

4 hours ago, Terrapin Z said:

3 hours ago, motorman7 said:

Yes, the paint does not seem to be the best quality.  There are a number of photos that show a lot of orange peel texture.  The shot under the hood with the decal looks pretty orange peeled as well, among others.

The BaT listing states that the car underwent a rotisserie restoration back in 1996 and 1997. 20 years can take its toll on a car, especially the if paint wasn't the best quality to start with, it was driven a lot and parked outside, etc., that would at least partially explain the problems with the paint.  

33 minutes ago, lonetreesteve said:

The BaT listing states that the car underwent a rotisserie restoration back in 1996 and 1997. 20 years can take its toll on a car, especially the if paint wasn't the best quality to start with, it was driven a lot and parked outside, etc., that would at least partially explain the problems with the paint.  

My comment was referring to pics 105 and 107. The paint looks to me like it is on top of the jute.  It almost looks like the spare tub was repainted sometime after the rotisserie job.

I read through the listing and saw the pages of notes. It states some undercoating was used inside and underneath the car, that might explain the peel bumps in the spare tub hole (pic 103)

The text below the picture of the steering wheel in the BAT description states it was only driven 1500 miles since the restoration. Not driven a lot and, expectedly not parked outside since it was repainted.