IGNORED

Rear Freeze/Core Plug

redolphn

Hi there... I’ve been trying to remove the freeze plug from the rear of the head (without removing the head). I’ve been having a really hard time removing it because there’s not much room between the back of the head and the firewall and it seems like the plug is rusted in there. I also tried heating it up with a blow torch but that didn’t work/help.... and tried freezing it with compressed air which didn't work.

Does anyone have any ideas for how I can get the rear plug out without having to remove the head? All I seem to keep doing is ripping it more and more to point that almost all that's left is the rim itself (and about a finger's worth in the top left of it).

Any solution that I can buy to “free” it up at all or a tool that may make it easier? I have to imagine someone out there has been able to remove the rear plug before without removing the head.

Thanks in advance!

Have to replace it because the engine blew a small hole in it.  I know with the core plugs on the sides, they can be knocked loose with a flathead, but I don't have that kind of clearance to do that between the rear of the head and the firewall.

Edit, I'm a slow typer.

26th-Z is right.  It would have to be driven in straight on.  I use a big socket with tape on the end and a hammer for the block's plugs.

Good luck, I hope you find an answer.

You could always use the rubber expansion plugs if you get the old one out.  I forgot about those.

Image result for rubber expansion plugs

Edited by siteunseen

4 hours ago, redolphn said:

Does anyone have any ideas for how I can get the rear plug out without having to remove the head? All I seem to keep doing is ripping it more and more to point that almost all that's left is the rim itself (and about a finger's worth in the top left of it).

How about driving it inward, then bending the piece that's left while it's inside the head, so that it will come out of the hole?  Probably work best if the rim that's left is even thinner.  Or youmight find that driving it inward breaks the bond to the head and once you break that bond it will pull out.

Or, if you have a steady hand, saw or grind several notches in to the piece that's left so that it is more likely to bend as you try to pry it out.

Your biggest risk, probably, is damaging the seat for the new plug.  

Awe, come-on!  How about doing the repair properly and NOT being one of those POs we diss quite often!  A rubber expansion type of freeze plug is only a temporary repair.  This is precisely what this community wishes to discourage.  Sorry, hon, your head is damaged and it's going to have to come off to repair it properly as the manufacturer intended.  Otherwise, it's just a hack repair.  Besides, once you get the head off, you'll be able to perform a lot more maintenance that the head probably needs.  You get to work on your car more.  You won't scratch your firewall any more than you probably already have.  And you'll probably learn something.   Be brave, fix it right!

• Like 2

Written like somebody with lots of time and money.  Edited - don't want to get in trouble.

Beside that - wouldn't you just pay somebody else to do the work?  Be honest.

Edited by Zed Head

1 hour ago, 26th-Z said:

Awe, come-on!  How about doing the repair properly and NOT being one of those POs we diss quite often! 

Your "we" is the small we.  Most of "us" appreciate that there are many ways to get a job done.  And, "we", meaning "us" (maybe just "me") only diss people who are judgmental.

Let the guy do what he wants to do.  It's his car.  Plus it probably has a high VIN.